Intrepid Ibex

Discussion in 'Linux' started by fuzz, Sep 11, 2008.

1. fuzz

lotus49

Thank you, that has certainly helped. Sound is still far from deafening, but it is at least audible without holding my One right against my ear. However, I now have no sound capture in Skype. It's two steps forward and one step back with this but I will play about a bit and see if I can fix this last problem.

At least I am now down to my last critical issue before I can move over to Intrepid Ibex.

It may be worth reporting that suspend still doesn't work but hibernate sort of does. I am currently running Intrepid from a USB stick and when I try to resume from hibernation my One boots from the internal SSD. However, if I then reboot, it does reboot from the USB stick. I suspect if Intrepid were installed on my SSD this would work properly.

EDIT

OK that wasn't that hard to fix. I have the sound options in Skype set thusly:

Sound in HDA Intel (hw:Intel,0)
    Sound out pulse
    Ringing pulse

Sound capture is still skipping slightly so I am about to reboot into Linpus and check whether that is Intrepid. If not, I shall probably be moving over to Intrepid later tonight - at last.

lotus49, Oct 14, 2008
  2. fuzz

malmjako

Hmmm... I ought to have learned left and right by now... It was right for me too, of course. =) Edited above.

Concerning other OS, this did not happen in Linpus.

malmjako, Oct 14, 2008
  3. fuzz

frosterrj

wow, I can't even get it to boot up properly...just hangs at starting desktop. First icon in KDE splash shows, then hangs. Clicking anywhere just causes the screen to go blank as well....

ITs a good burn, MD5s match...

any ideas/cheat codes?

8gb SSD/512MB version

frosterrj, Oct 14, 2008
  4. fuzz

Guest Guest

Hey guys,

Another thing I just noticed today. Whether the machine is on battery or AC power, it's actually only running at half its clock speed. If you add the CPU scaling monitor to the panel, you can monitor and manually adjust the clock settings. Clock speed changes are reflected in /proc/cpuinfo as well, so I guess it's working. Glxgears is running at the same speed on either - maybe I need a CPU (got GPU) benchmark to test this.

[attachment=0:35ijfuoj]power-screenshot.png[/attachment:35ijfuoj]

Does anyone know a way to make it run at full power on AC, and half-power on battery? I found some tricks for Hardy on the web (gconf-editor changes), but the options aren't there on intrepid.

[EDIT] When set to ondemand (default), it automatically jumps from 800MHz to 1600MHz when I start oggenc. I guess it just takes a massive CPU load to make it budge. I might just leave it as is.

Guest, Oct 15, 2008
  5. fuzz

malmjako

More problems with Fn- key combinations...

The sound shortcuts seem to control the OSS Mixer Input Gain channel (?, freely from swedish: införstärkning), but it should control the Master channel on the PulseAudio Mixer, I think. So when I use Fn-<up/down arrow> to increase/decrease volume, or Fn-F8 to mute, nothing happens with the output sound.

Any fixes?

My Fn- status:
    Code:
    Fn-F4      works            suspends computer (though sometimes it takes ~15 s to initiate the suspend...)
    Fn-F5      don't know       I haven't tried a second screen
    Fn-F6      works            turns the LED backlight off
    Fn-F7      works            toggles touchpad on/off
    Fn-F8      works partially  acts on the wrong audio channel (see this post above)
    Fn-F11     works            toggles NumLock
    Fn-F12     don't know       (What does Scr Lk do?)
    Fn-Pg Up   works            generates a <Home> key press
    Fn-Pg Dn   works            generates a <End> key press
    Fn-<left>  works            decreases screen brightness
    Fn-<right> works partially  increases screen brightness, but also generates <plus/minus> key press
    Fn-<up>    works partially  acts on the wrong audio channel
    Fn-<down>  works partially  acts on the wrong audio channel

malmjako, Oct 16, 2008
  6. fuzz

jbernardo

On kubuntu, everything works except for suspend. I am even unable to map fn-f4 to standby, as system-settings-kde doesn't seem to recognize the key press.

jbernardo, Oct 16, 2008
  7. fuzz

lotus49

I also now have pretty much everything working except suspend and hibernate. Having said that, sound capture in Skype is a bit choppy and it is only just usable at the moment.

All of the following work:
    • wired network
      wireless network
      webcam
      sound playback (headphones detection also works correctly)
      sound capture (although not perfect - it's choppy)
      left hand card reader - card inserted at boot time
      right hand card reader with SD/SDHC cards (not tested anything else) - card inserted at boot or subsequently
      brightness and volume control buttons (but see below)

There are minor problems but they are not enough to stop me moving over to Intrepid as my main OS now. These are:

• wireless light and kill switch are completely non-functional
      suspend (this is currently dangerous as it either crashes the machine or trashes my SDHC card)
      hibernate (crashed the machine last time I tried it)
      increase brightness button does work but displays a ± symbol in whichever window has the focus and does not increase the brightness on screen indicator so if I keep pressing brightness up and down alternately, the brightness stays the same but the indicator (incorrectly) steadily shows it decreasing

This is not perfect but it is now usable and I am fairly confident that the last few problems are eminently solvable. Getting suspend working would be nice, the others only annoy me because they don't do what they should - it has little practical significance.

lotus49, Oct 17, 2008
  8. fuzz

malmjako

You do not mention any problems with volume control buttons. Does this mean they work on your master channel? Did you do anything to make this work?

malmjako, Oct 17, 2008
  9. fuzz

lotus49

Yes they do work properly and no, I didn't have to do anything to get them to work. I am now using the pulse audio drivers but they worked exactly the same with the default sound drivers.

I presume from your question that yours don't.

Perhaps you can answer a question of mine in return. Does sound capture in Skype work well? Mine works, but it's choppy and this makes it difficult for the person on the other end to understand me.

lotus49, Oct 17, 2008
  10. fuzz

tshawkins

I have raised a bug report on this on launchpad, it was working about 2 weeks ago, but got broken with one of the HAL updates.

tshawkins, Oct 18, 2008
  11. fuzz

dr3as

i have big problems with ubuntu and wireless, i did the things on http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-releases/8.10/ but the ap's i've tried to connect to(with wpa 2) doesn't work :S

edit:
    Tried a open network, still no go :S restricted driver is disabled, and blacklistet the ath_pci driver.. :S

dr3as, Oct 18, 2008
  12. fuzz

Guest Guest

Run 'dmesg'. When the wireless fails, there's almost always a clue printed there.

Guest, Oct 19, 2008
  13. fuzz

dr3as

didnt give any relevant info. Did a reinstall, now it works, and i followed the same guide.

Strange, but i'm happy.

dr3as, Oct 19, 2008
  14. fuzz

lotus49

I would be interested to see what results other people have had with Intrepid Ibex. I posted above my description of what worked and what doesn't (choppy sound input, no suspend/hibernate, no wifi kill switch or light - everything else OK).

In particular, I would be interested in whether I am the only one with choppy sound capture in Skype - this is the only thing that is not fully working that I am bothered about.

lotus49, Oct 20, 2008
  15. fuzz

Guest Guest

I only have two residual problems with intrepid.
    1. 3D rendering graphic glitches. The netbook remix has now worked around them (looks really good), but don't even bother with google earth.
    2. The ath5k driver is a headache. When it fails (which is frequently), it drags everything with it. The only fix is a total poweroff (or just unloading the module).

I had choppy sound - but it turned out to be ath5k stealing all my megahurtz. The sound in Ibex is actually quite stable now (definitely better than 8.04).

Guest, Oct 21, 2008
  16. fuzz

flamm

Hi!

I just installed 8.10 beta and everything was fine until I installed the compiz manager and applied some effects. My screen starts turning black as I get these major graphic problems. I get the same problems when doing a hard reboot so I don't know how to turn the effects off.

Any idéas how to fix this?

flamm, Oct 21, 2008
  17. fuzz

lotus49

I have Compiz installed and it works fine, but I appreciate that this doesn't help you much.

An easy way of getting around this is to open a text session (ctrl + alt + F1 - sometimes I have to do this twice) and uninstall compiz using apt-get. Then switch back to the X session (alt + F7) and all should be OK.

lotus49, Oct 21, 2008
  18. fuzz

cgk

I like ibex - the only thing that still bugs me is the wifi which I have never managed to get to work with any of the methods described on here.

cgk, Oct 21, 2008
  19. fuzz

nonsisa

Install the latest version and get a wired connection. Then do all the updates and upgrades without touching. Also run the actualization tool from systems menu. When you are finished go to the hardware-drivers and disable the atheros. Do a reboot after that.
    Give it a try.

nonsisa, Oct 22, 2008
  20. fuzz

cgk

Actualization tool??????????? :?: I don't see anything like that in the system menu?

cgk, Oct 22, 2008
Ask a Question