Intrepid Ibex

Discussion in 'Linux' started by fuzz, Sep 11, 2008.

1. fuzz

jango

can you explain better that? because a have the same problems

jango, Oct 27, 2008
  2. fuzz

suvarin

To fix the noisy fan:
    1. Start a terminal. Run sudo gedit /etc/rc.local . Copy and paste the rc.local example from the Ubuntu wiki to the file.

2. Install ethtool: sudo apt-get install ethtool.

I haven't been able to fix the static noise from the speakers yet.

suvarin, Oct 27, 2008
  3. fuzz

frosterrj

you have to reboot after installing the backports modules. I didn't think it worked either until I re-booted.

robert

frosterrj, Oct 28, 2008
  4. fuzz

Kel

Wifi back up and working!

Pulled the battery and let it sit for a while before another reboot. It detected the wireless network but wouldn't connect. Rebooted and everything's back up and running. Go figure!

Kel, Oct 28, 2008
  5. fuzz

scottro

I've had peculiar things like that happen with Ibex. It will suddenly not detect the card. Thinking something might be wrong with the card (this has happened with the wired Realtek as well) I reboot into another installation on the machine and it's fine. Then, I boot back into Ibex, and once again, it's fine.

Whether it's Ibex or some sort of flakiness with the hardware, I don't know. However, it never happens in SimplyMepis.

scottro, Oct 28, 2008
  6. fuzz

Demiurge

I agree, go figure! Worked for me too, with the backports-driver :D

Demiurge, Oct 28, 2008
  7. fuzz

cgk

Can someone comply a step by step for this?

cgk, Oct 28, 2008
  8. fuzz

fuzz

Is there a hard date for the release version of 8.10 yet? (despite starting this topic I've stuck with Hardy for the moment).
    Also, can someone explain exactly what modprobe does? I know I don't need to understand it to run it but I'm a nosy bugger, feel free to get technical.

fuzz, Oct 29, 2008
  9. fuzz

Baza

Think its Thurs 30th?

Baza, Oct 29, 2008
  10. fuzz

scottro

@fuzz, modprobe, as its name suggests, probes for and loads modules.

So, for example, modprobe ath5k will look in the system for a module called ath5k--(actually, it will be called ath5k.ko, the .ko suffix indicating that it's a kernel module) and if modprobe finds it, will insert it into the system.

It will, by default, start by looking in the likely places, such as /lib/modules.

There is also modprobe -r which will remove the module if it's loaded and not being used at the moment. Lastly there is, on Linpus (and most systems nowadays) /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist which is one easy way to keep a module from loading. There are various reasons to do that, especially if one module conflicts with the module you want, e.g., ath5k and ath_pci. (This is because the system might load the one we don't want by default.)

I can get more technical if you wish, but hopefully, that's enough of an explanation.

scottro, Oct 29, 2008
  11. fuzz

charly

This could be a dumb question, but when 8.10 gets released, will i be able to update my beta version to the release version trough the update system - or do i have to install it from scratch?

Not looking forward to messing with the wifi config again :roll:

charly, Oct 29, 2008
  12. fuzz

Demiurge

I upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 beta by running "update-manager -d" in terminal. I assume this also works to upgrade from beta to stable release?

Demiurge, Oct 29, 2008
  13. fuzz

jeffyeh

Yes, a distribution upgrade will be available via the update manager, or the command that Demiurge gave.

jeffyeh, Oct 29, 2008
  14. fuzz

charly

Thanks,
    that'll save some time installing apps / configuring wireless etc. :D

charly, Oct 29, 2008
  15. fuzz

malmjako

This will not be necessary for those already running the 8.10 beta, as you are continually getting the updates for 8.10. On release date your system will already be up-to-date.

malmjako, Oct 29, 2008
  16. fuzz

lotus49

Yes, that is correct. It's out tomorrow. In itself that is good, but we clearly are not going to get all our issues solved by the production release :(

lotus49, Oct 29, 2008
  17. fuzz

charly

I do hope there'll be some performance tweaks once the final is out, The beta is totally usable as it is, but some things (like firefox) feel... i'd call it on the verge of being sluggish. :?
    I think the xubuntu beta was more responsive but it lacks a lot of the features i like in ubuntu (easy acces to NAS, easy to configure external monitor etc.)

But maybe it's unfair to compare the performance to linpus since that's pretty much custom made for the A1

charly, Oct 29, 2008
  18. fuzz

lotus49

Mine seems to be fine from a performance point of view and it's really just the minor sound issues and suspend that I care about.

Since battery life is not great on the One, I would not often want to suspend and reduce it even further so I am not too bothered about suspend but I would like Skype to work better..

lotus49, Oct 30, 2008
  19. fuzz

melhiore

Just a quick one: I used LiveCD with Ubuntu 8.10. LiveCD is absolutely fine, WiFi working perfect etc. But when I installed system to HDD I found it difficult to connect to WiFi. Network Manager changes all letters and digits in my password to HEX version... Obviously I can not connect to my AP.

Anyone had similar issue??

melhiore, Nov 1, 2008
  20. fuzz

profilerat

ok im on 8.10 now and almost everything seems to be working OOB but i still have a problem with the mic........when i try recording sound the recorder goes crazy and counts in much more than seconds then when i try to stop it it kindof crashes.....anyone having similar mic issues???

profilerat, Nov 1, 2008
Ask a Question