Is 512mb enough?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by adamsaulnier_inactive, Sep 2, 2008.

1. adamsaulnier_inactive

adamsaulnier_inactive

Hi there. I'm about 75% decided on the model of One I'm going to go with, however I'm not too sure about the amount of memory that I will need in the machine.

Here's the one I'm considering:
    LU.S050A.006
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... cture=Acer

My hope is to be able to stay with the linux distro on the computer since I will only be using it for e-mail, web browsing, etc and more than likely will not need to install any new software to it.. basically a computer I can take with me on my travels. I'm afraid that 512mb will not be enough to handle linux and any other programs that I will want to open and still run like a top ( can you tell I come from a windows background where more ram = better :oops: ). I have a poor working knowledge of Linux, although I have used it for a short time in university for basic tasks.

Also, if I want to run Windows XP later on down the road (or even dual boot) 512mb isn't that bad but upgrading memory = loss of warranty, seems like a daunting decision.

Should I stick with the one I have selected, or should I go with one with more memory? Cost is a factor, I'm trying to stay as cheap as possible.

adamsaulnier_inactive, Sep 2, 2008
  2. adamsaulnier_inactive

Sid

Yes, 512mb is more than enough for linpus as supplied, browsing mail etc.

You want XP = add memory.
    Adding memory is not that much of an issue, really.

Your choice is good if you want an HDD, note that there is a 160gb unit available real soon.

A good choice would be a unit with a 6 cell battery, not to expensive when bought as a system, but at present the battery as a separate item is $120 +

If there is a big chance that you will use XP, buy it first and add linpus to the machine. XP adds about $25 to a One when bought as a system.

If you only want to run the odd windows program, look at wine (it allows some windows progs to run on top of linpus).
    Google "linux wine"

Sid, Sep 2, 2008
  3. adamsaulnier_inactive

adamsaulnier_inactive

Having a 6 cell battery is not a priority, since I will only be using it sporadically on the road... pitstops, hotels, airports, etc.. and come to think about it if I need XP at a later date I can probably install it at another time, I have the software kicking around here somewhere.

Is it possible to get a 6 cell laptop with linux based on the same specs I gave above?

adamsaulnier_inactive, Sep 2, 2008
  4. adamsaulnier_inactive

Raido

With regard to the memory, using the default Linpus applications I found 512 MB to be more than sufficient. Browsing and e-mailing or YouTubeing is no problem there, as is running yer average game like Quake III. If you use it as a netbook - and don't start overloading things like some people like to do ;) - you should be more than OK. :geek:

Raido, Sep 2, 2008
Ask a Question