Is a dual-band router better than a single-band router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Baniclips, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Baniclips

Baniclips

I have a Linksys WRT54G and it has served me well for 10+ years. I feel it's starting to wear out recently, lots of dropped connections and needs to be reset quite often. Seems time to replace it with a newer router and there are so many options available.. the main thing I notice are a new type of router (at least new compared to my dinosaur, lol) called dual-band routers which apparently give better signals. Does anyone have experience with trying both types? If so, are there considerable performance gains with a dual-band router? They do seem to cost more than a standard type.

Baniclips, Mar 24, 2014
  2. Baniclips

something back

POSSIBLE driver problem

NO EXPERIENCE SORRY.

something back, Mar 24, 2014
  3. Baniclips

something back

With all the problems you have reported on the forum including your router dropping out it does seem that either a series of windows drivers have problems, a virus or root kit virus has installed itself on your machine. A complete reformat and reinstallation of your
    windows system will cure most of it if not all of it. If you have been happy with your router then
    stick with it just wait until you have reinstalled the system and see if it still gives problems and still drops out.

something back, Mar 24, 2014
  4. Baniclips

thebeardlesswonder

Single band routers only use 2.4ghz radios, where as Dual band routers also have a 5ghz radio. If you have devices that support 5ghz radios this would be the way to go. If you don't and don't do a lot of file sharing inside your network you should be fine with a single band radio. Most people thing that just because something costs more it will be better...well that's not true. If you don't have the means to use the full capacity of the router then why buy a very expensive one.

thebeardlesswonder, May 28, 2014
    Diane Lane likes this.
Ask a Question