Is anyone successfully running the AcerAspireOneZG5 torrent

Discussion in 'Windows' started by nwo4life, Jan 12, 2010.

1. nwo4life

nwo4life

Hi
    just wondering if anyone has downloaded this and if it works? Its a copy of the Acer Windows XP recovery disk to install a fresh copy of Windows
    The file is alomst 7 GB, so Id like to know if it can work before downloading

Thanks

nwo4life, Jan 12, 2010
  2. nwo4life

Willard

I downloaded one recently which was a Clonezilla image from a 160gb hard disk model ZG5.

I had tried out Windows 7, but was getting the odd blue screen and despite a lot of effort with driver changes, etc, it didn't like the wifi card when trying to transfer files on my network. So - sadly - back to Windows xp.

I believe I had to download and burn a new version of the Clonezilla boot cd, and it took some trial and error to figure out how the software worked - but I was successful at restoring my AAO to "as new" condition with XP home.

The hidden restore partition was not created - but the rest of the "Acer, empowering" stuff was installed. All the crapware is installed, just like when new, but it was pretty quick work to purge all this again. Also - I scanned the new install with several products - it's virus free.

Worked good I thought!

Willard, Jan 13, 2010
  3. nwo4life

nwo4life

I downloaded the file which is almost 7 GB.
    So, do I need to burn a new version of the Clonezilla boot CD or DVD, does it matter?
    Also, what files do I put on the Clonezilla boot CD or DVD? I cant put all 7 GB on it.

thanks!

nwo4life, Jan 13, 2010
  4. nwo4life

Willard

You burn the clonezilla ISO. That's the cd you will boot the machine with.

You'll need to copy he image files (everything, basically but the clonezilla iso) to a portable hard drive or usb stick.

have both drives connected and boot off the Clonezilla cd - then follow the prompts to do an image restore. You tell it the source and it finds the image file - then tell it the destination. Takes only a few minutes.

What you have then is like new from the factory.

Willard, Jan 15, 2010
  5. nwo4life

Paisley Pirate

I had issues with the clonezilla thing, also... I burned the Clonezilla disk... no problem there... but clonezilla couldn't seem to get the files off the usb drive for restore....

It could be me and not fully understanding linux architecture well enough to know what it was calling each drive... since I haven't used linux itself, however, I started out on UNIX back in the day (like 20 years ago) and was a hard core Amiga user for years (which was a UNIX derived OS itself, truth told).

So, I used the Torrent, and it worked flawlessly.

Paisley Pirate, Feb 14, 2010
Ask a Question