Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by the803, May 17, 2009.

1. the803

the803

So currently I'm testing out different OS'es and have tried Linpus and Win7 and I think Win7 is a bit buggy on this. Runs fine on my PC but on my Aspire One I get a lot of BSOD's and firefox hangs etc.

My real question is that is it worth voiding my warranty to install a wifi card and extra ram to install OS X?
    Does the mic work? Webcam? Basically, what works and what doesn't?

Thanks!

the803, May 17, 2009
  2. the803

rory

Would it not have been easier to look around.
    Sorry to flame but why cant people read?

Having used most OS'es on the AAO, I can safely say Windows 7 RC is the best, but OS X isnt too bad.
    Look in the guide threads for what is and osnt working with each one. Each guide has a section in the first post for what is and isnt working.

rory, May 17, 2009
  3. the803

Tamrac

Win7 runs very well and is not buggy at all.... I have not had any BSOD ever on my Win7 install. Browse through the Win7 section of this forum. Windows 7 7077 and the latest RC will be your best choice among the builds. ;)

Tamrac, May 17, 2009
  4. the803

the803

Thanks for the replies guys and sorry Rory, I could not find a list of what works and what doesn't in OS X which is what I was looking for initally and also the fact that is it worth voiding warranty and that for OS X by adding RAM and a wifi card?

I am currently running Win 7 RC on my 120GB and 512MB Aspire One. Could it be because I've got less RAM I'm getting the hangs on Firefox and that? I am really happy with Win 7 RC on my Quad Core PC with 4GB RAM though on my AAO it's not up to scratch. I know it wont perform as good as my PC but it should be able to run without BSOD's I was hoping.

the803, May 17, 2009
  5. the803

Tamrac

I think it's best to bump up your RAM to at least 1Gb on Win7... more so if you plan to use OSX. 512mb just won't cut it. Although XP Home SP3 will still be very usable with only 512. I use firefox 99% of the time when I'm on my Win7 installation on my netbooks, and never ever had any BSODs..... Upgrade to 1.5Gb and try to reinstall using another ISO of Win7, you may have some curruptions that's causing the BSOD. Cheers.

Tamrac, May 17, 2009
  6. the803

the803

Ordered a 1GB stick making it 1.5GB in total. I'll see how the prerformance of Win7 increases after that.
    Thanks.

the803, May 17, 2009
Ask a Question