Is my mic slot broken, do you think?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by alun_sundry, May 14, 2009.

1. alun_sundry

alun_sundry

I bought the Acer Aspire One with Linpus today but I'm concerned the mic slot might not work, unless it's common knowledge that an update for Linpus puts this right.

I've got audio watching Youtube or listening to mp3, but an external mic doesn't work with the webcam - in fact when i go into the audio preferences and try to change to external mic it doesn't actually alter.

I get no sound with the webcam recorded videos either. The internal speaker's fine, the headphone slot's fine. I've tried two mics as well, one battery-less, and one that takes batteries.

I also tried Ubuntu 9.04 from a USB stick and Linux mint the same way and there is no mic working that way either, except I see that there are audio problems with those anyway so that's probably no sign of anything.

Any ideas? I will be quite peeved if I've bought a dud or the local Currys.Digital is trying to shift a batch of them.

Thanks.

alun_sundry, May 14, 2009
  2. alun_sundry

solpuerto

Hi alun_sundry

The Linux Aspire One mic never worked from day one but in early April 2009 Acer released an update that provided a working mic. I assume your Aspire may well have the software pre the update.

See the following link.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=13036&p=82109#p82109

solpuerto, May 14, 2009
  3. alun_sundry

alun_sundry

I ended up installing Ubuntu 9.04 and now everything's working - including the mic and wi-fi, mystifyingly, given what some are saying. A lot of time but a more pleasing and up-to-date system, plus simple-to-use 3G broadband.

It's a great machine.

alun_sundry, May 14, 2009
Ask a Question