Is this the real Aspire One Linpus?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by electronrancher, Nov 6, 2008.

1. electronrancher

electronrancher

Hi,

I got an XP system, and repartitioned and installed CentOS 4.7 (newest one with full http mirror for internet install) but it doesn't support the USB, sound, and a host of other stuff. So I decided to try Linpus.

Browing the Linpus FTP site, I discovered that they have specific "Aspire One" directories - but the files aren't iso so I dunno whether they are just tarballs or what. Didn't check yet - maybe soon.

Here's the site: ftp.twaren.net/pub/Linux/Linpus/Aspire_One_Linpus_Linux/

Right now I'm d/ling the main Linpus Lite iso and maybe these next. The recovery CD torrent is too SLOW - and 900MB? Huh?

electronrancher, Nov 6, 2008
  2. electronrancher

Tamrac

The original Linpus on the Acer Aspire One is a tweaked version of Linpus. You should find the Acer One recovery ISO version of linpus. Downloading the ISO from the linpus site is a more generic version. I tried installing it and it needs alot of work to get everything to work, maybe that's the reason for an entire folder full of RPMs on the FTP site you gave above.

Tamrac, Nov 7, 2008
  3. electronrancher

scottro

CentOS is a bit tricky on the AA1. The easiest way to install it is if you have another Linux installation already running. There's a CentOS wiki article on it. DISCLOSURE, I wrote most of it.

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Acer/Aspire-One
    I would recommend using 5.2 rather than 4.7 though.

scottro, Nov 7, 2008
  4. electronrancher

electronrancher

Oh, you wrote that? I read it, It's awesome!

I was disappointed to find that CentOS 4.7 didn't support a lot of the hardware on the 150, so that's why I'm rewriting my device to Linpus. Unless of course CentOS 5.2 does support the hardware...?

electronrancher, Nov 7, 2008
Ask a Question