Issues installing XP on the Acer AO532h

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Patass, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Patass

Patass

I've tried through both USB stick and USB DVD drive, and it doesnt seem to be detecting my hard drive. I want to do XP because I hear it gives better performance and longer battery life. I've also seen people playing games like Halo, and running EPSXE and Project64 with much better results than I've been getting, but they're on Windows XP. I'm on 7 Ultimate right now. Both Windows 7 and Ubuntu Netbook Remix have no problems installing on my netbook. I also have 2 gigs of ram installed. Any help is appreciated. I'm also wondering if there is a netbook version of XP out there for my version of the Aspire One. I saw the one a few posts down but it's for a different model and has drivers pre-loaded so I'm assuming I shouldnt use it.

Patass, Jun 23, 2010
  2. Patass

Orbiting234

It's very easy.

Vista, 7, and Ubuntu all have support for AHCI mode built in which is why they don't need extra drivers. XP is sooooooo old though it does so you'll have to put the driver onto a USB drive and press F6 when prompted to during initial setup.

Alternatively you could just change the HDD from AHCI to IDE mode within the BIOS instead and then you wouldn't need any drivers for XP to see the drive at all.

Orbiting234, Jun 24, 2010
  3. Patass

Swarvey Moderator

Or you can download and extract the Textmode drivers for the AHCI controller, and use nLite to integrate them into your Windows XP install disk.

Swarvey, Jun 24, 2010
  4. Patass

Patass

ended up slipstreaming them in and making my own version of XP with nlite, worked out great. For the record, my emulators and games run ALOT faster on XP than they did on 7.

Patass, Jun 25, 2010
Ask a Question