ITUNES AND SKYPE

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jfanghanel, Oct 9, 2008.

1. jfanghanel

jfanghanel

I would like to find ITUNES FOR LINPUS AND SKYPE FOR LINPUS.
    I would like to listen to the radio also on my; ACER ASPIRE ONE. Can you recommend me an application that will work for listening to the internet radio?.
    Can you please help me?.

jfanghanel, Oct 9, 2008
  2. jfanghanel

Elllipsis

Getting iTunes to work for Linux is not recommended on the AA1 but there are good equivalent applications like Songbird or Amarok. Amarok is a simple install and compared to Songbird it should handle it very well. Songbird is a beta application that is due out sometime next year but is stable right now. To get either just search the site. for Amarok or Songbird.

Skype on the other hand is an easy install. Just click the "Fedora 7" download link off their site: http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/choose/

and install. It should work out of the box.

Elllipsis, Oct 9, 2008
  3. jfanghanel

jfanghanel

ITUNES, i installed, but i cannot find the application anywhere. The installation says that it installed it into my computer, and yet, I cannot find the application.
    As for Amarok, I downloaded it, and I do not know how to install it.
    Can you please, tell me EXPLICITLY, which site, I could download AMAROK, and that it should install automatically.

Once a program has been installed, where do I find it in my computer?.
    How do I execute the program.
    This environment, is COMPLETELY different from windows.

Please, Help.

jfanghanel, Oct 9, 2008
  4. jfanghanel

daldred

How, exactly, did you install it, and where did you get the rpm package to do so?

You don't download it. Use the add/remove software function: it's listed there.

It will install itself into the full menu - if you haven't done so already you may be best to enable the right-click menu because that's the standard menu (rather than the Linpus standard front-end, which doesn't work like a proper Linux menu). Instructions on how to do this are here: http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28

Yes, this is completely different from Windows, and it takes getting used to (just as Windows does when you're used to Linux). Most software you'll need is already in the add/remove software functionality; for most purposes you don't need to waste time searching for stuff and downloading it, the system does that for you. Enjoy!

daldred, Oct 9, 2008
  5. jfanghanel

Elllipsis

As mentioned you can NOT install iTunes on Linux because it is presented in a different binary format (made for Windows or Mac)...there are currently NO binaries available for Linux (especially not for the outdated Fedora 8 which Linpus is based on) unless you use WINE to run it. Which is a waste of system resources and requires some know how.

For Amarok as mentioned just use the add and remove tool which is in the right click menu if you have any problems with using Amarok just search your problem up on the forums or ask about it. Most programs are executable from the the menu but if you encounter one which is not you can simply type it's name into the terminal firefox should launch firefox etc.

Recently I went back to Windows after a year on exclusively on Linux. Boy I found one or two things that no longer made sense to me (example: totally unable to get help online, unclear Windows documentation and a unrefined update system)...I annoyed a few of my geekier Window user friends for a few days and I am a GEEK currently studying computer science. You will get used to it just keep asking for help or searching up your answer.

Elllipsis, Oct 9, 2008
Ask a Question