iTunes jumpy on AA1 XP HELP!!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by AFflyer71, Oct 15, 2008.

1. AFflyer71

AFflyer71

All,
    Not sure if this topic has already been posted but I have the new AA1 running XP 160GB HD and 1 GB RAM. I loaded iTunes and tried to watch a TV show and it is way to jumpy to watch. Does anyone know if there is any settings I can try to make it run smooth? Microsoft Mediaplayer runs fine. HELP!!

Thanks a bunch!!

Chip

AFflyer71, Oct 15, 2008
  2. AFflyer71

cjennings1974

For some reason, I noticed that if you play a video file in iTunes itself, that the framerate is a bit choppy. To remedy this, I just find the video file I want to play via Windows Explorer, right click on it and select 'Open with' and then select 'Quicktime', thereby playing the video using the standalone Quicktime player. I've found that by doing this, the video plays a lot smoother, dunno why that is, but there you go, hope it helps!

cjennings1974, Oct 17, 2008
  3. AFflyer71

AFflyer71

I'll give that a try. I wonder if it just doesn't have enough RAM to run it all? I only have the 1 GB and I didn't really want to tear it apart to add an additional 512K. Thanks for the reply.

AFflyer71, Oct 22, 2008
  4. AFflyer71

MR650

If you free up as much memory as possible and limit the number of applications and services using the CPU, then there seem to be three (3) major issues with Quicktime/iTunes video:

1) Video that skips and jumps with pauses: This is most likely due to high bitrate video that places extra demands on your system. Rarely, it can be caused by fragmentation. If you see the symptoms while playing an iPod compatible encode (iTunes vended or personally converted to the highest 5.5g iPod spec and thus universally compatible), then see the other points. To alleviate skips, make sure that your drive is defragmented (if applicable), you are playing the video from the drive and not external media, and that your graphics drivers are up to date.

2) Inability to stream or extremely poor graphics performance with what appear to be long buffering times: This can be caused by the method in which the stream was encoded and the media application or server. For instance, non-fast start video will often exhibit the aforementioned symptoms. A possible remedy for this is to modify the Video settings in the Advanced tab of the QuickTime control panel. Changing the Video from DirectX to Safe mde (GDI Only) will often remedy this issue.

3) Sheeting during playback: This appears as an intermittent flicker that looks like a frame is out of sync. It is consistent in timing, but may only be visible in intervals of ten (10) seconds or longer. If it looks like there is a double frame or a frame appears to fill from top to bottom so that you can percieve it as distinct from the normal video stream, then this is 'sheeting'. I have yet to find an adequate simple solution for this issue. If you notice sync issues for other applications then it may be worth trying to override the DirectDraw refresh rate in the 'More Help' section of dxdiag.

Checklist:

DirectX End-User Runtimes (August 2008) : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Current intel or acer video driver (optionally consider intels chipset installation utility)

updated iTunes and Quicktime

Completed Virus scan and limited background processes

Defragmented drive

MR650, Oct 25, 2008
Ask a Question