iTunes on Linpus AA1 - WORKING!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ncmp, Aug 27, 2008.

1. ncmp

ncmp

Just thought I would share, got iTunes working well. Used WINE, not exactly hard, good though! Would you believe this is actually easier than installing Songbird! which is made for linux!
    So I'm emulating a windows piece of software as its easier than installing linux native :| post if ya got a question!

[​IMG]

ncmp, Aug 27, 2008
  2. ncmp

Raido

ITunes a WINDOWS piece of software??? Omylord, what is the world coming to ;)

(Yes, yes I know there's also a Windows version - I hear some people are even using it, combined with something called an 'iPod'... :? From a Mac point of view though, hearing that sounded *very* weird nonetheless :lol: ) Its original name was Soundjam, btw, a Mac program, of course.

Oh, and grats / kudos for getting it working :) I'm sure people are going to appreciate a tutorial.

Raido, Aug 27, 2008
  3. ncmp

mariomendoza

Please post a tutorial i have tried gtkpod, amarok and others and not plays mp3's

THX

mariomendoza, Aug 27, 2008
  4. ncmp

Sid

So does iTunes on Wine sync OK with an iPod?

Sid, Aug 27, 2008
  5. ncmp

ncmp

haha yea its all very funny, even though i want songbird because the itunes is a bit laggy so you gotta have patience!
    I will post a tutorial but simply its, download wine, download itunes, run wine, run itunes setup in wine then iTunes is added to your laptop as a linux program so you can use it as you would as if it weren't being emulated. But I will create a more in-depth. Wine interfaces with USB devices (I Think*) so I would of thought it would sync, I'll try it with my touch and let you guys know.

ncmp, Aug 27, 2008
  6. ncmp

rebuilder

Mariomendoza: if your problem was simply that amarok wouldn't play mp3s, that's because it doesn't, by default, come with "non-free" codecs. Politics, but you can install them separately. The package to install for amarok is amarok-extras-nonfree.

rebuilder, Aug 27, 2008
  7. ncmp

rameses

I've tried to do this but it doesn't seem to work - though I'm a complete linux novice so might have done something wrong.
    I downloaded and installed wine - that bit seems to have worked ok
    I downloaded the windows version of iTunes from the Apple website - worked ok to
    I ran the wine file explorer, navigated to the iTunes setup exe and clicked on it to install. This started ok and the set up asked where did I want to install it, I just left it with the default choice of c:\program files\iTunes. It appears to install and shows the usual messages about registering files and deleting temp folders etc. However the set up app then shows an error message saying iTunes can't install and now changes were made to the system.

Any idea what I may have done wrong?

I really want to get iTunes to work as I've tried Songbird and it messed up my iPod album art and file names.

rameses, Feb 9, 2009
  8. ncmp

amower

I'm with the above user! Is there a more in depth tutorial coming soon? Please say yes! I miss iTunes! Love Songbird- but it also messed up all my album artwork. :/

amower, May 16, 2009
  9. ncmp

garrovick

I have Ubuntu 9.04 on my desktop, no MS OS. I bought this Acer One XP because iTunes with Linux is not what I bought my iPod for 2 years ago for. Even with wine it simply does not work properly. And using an iPod 5th gen video with just Linux makes the iPod a 30 dollar drag and drop mp3 player.

The only real solution is dial boot with XP/Vista

garrovick, May 16, 2009
  10. ncmp

AK963

Its good that you got it working, but I'll pass. I have songbird on Ubuntu 9.04 and imo it's waaaaaay better than iTunes. It has FLAC and Last.fm support and it's native.

[​IMG]

AK963, May 17, 2009
  11. ncmp

mamnmamn

Well Done!

I have to say I hate ITunes though! I can't give a very scientific reason why!! I use gtkpod and it works really well.

mamnmamn, May 17, 2009
Ask a Question