Japanese input

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ushi09, Jan 2, 2009.

1. ushi09

ushi09

Hi,

Is there a way to switch between English and Japanese input? I'd like to be able to input Japanese characters to write emails, etc.

Thanks

ushi09, Jan 2, 2009
  2. ushi09

daldred

There's a thing called scim-hangul which might help; scim is the thing which handles the keyboard type (you probably already have a little square blue icon in your tray: clikc on it and the scim keyboard selection interface should appear).

Scim-hangul, as I understand it, enables Japanese input among others. I haven't tried it myself, and I think you may need to do things with fonts too, but I hope that pointer may help.

daldred, Jan 2, 2009
  3. ushi09

ushi09

Thanks very much David. And for anyone else who is interested, if you want to input a character set other than what is pre-installed, you have to first enable the Japanese (or other) language package from pirut. Once you've done that it will show up in SCIM and the rest is easy!

ushi09, Jan 3, 2009
  4. ushi09

PaPi

Enable the advanced mode (instructions on this site.)
    Right-click on the desktop and select system and add/remove software. Then click on LIST.
    Scroll the list until you find SCIM-ANTHY. Select it, click OK, wait till it downloads and then you can start writing in Japanese. All you have to do is to type CTRL+SPACE to activate the input system. Works great!

PaPi, Jan 3, 2009
Ask a Question