Jaunty 9.04 Beta Install Experience (Not UNR)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by scudder2u, Mar 28, 2009.

1. scudder2u

scudder2u

Yesterday I did a clean install of Jaunty (not UNR) as was impressed. Boot and shut down time and system responsiveness are vastly improved with the default kernel (only a few seconds longer than the sickboy kernel for boot).

As noted here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Aspir ... 0Jackalope)%20Beta
    most things work out of the box. Right card reader didnt unless present at boot, minor touchpad issue (see below), and the one time I tried to hibernate it tried to wake up but couldnt but that may be because of the UXA tweak - not sure. Mic, webcam, etc all working.

I formatted with ext4 filesystem and applied the UXA tweak here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=890843
    with UXA enabled I do get an occasional screen flicker and once a blank screen that was not present with the default EXA. Since I dont tax my AAO and use it primarily for word processing and surfing I havent noticed any difference really. Ill be going back to default.

I didnt install the linux-backports-modules-jaunty btw so my LED doesnt work but thats no big deal to me. Upon first boot I was notified of the availability of restricted drivers but since everything was working fine for me I didnt install them.

The xserver-xorg-input-all package was installed by default and the touchpad works. However, vertical scrolling using the side of the touchpad only works once each boot and then curiously stops. Scrolling using the bars works fine.

The additional themes are great (I had already installed them under 8.10) but its great they are included by default.

Most recent versions of openoffice are now in the repositories as is google gadgets so that makes things a bit easier.

Overall, and excellent release. Im really looking forward to the April 23 final release! I think we have a winner!

Anyone else give the beta a go?

scudder2u, Mar 28, 2009
  2. scudder2u

Brian10161

Based on your experience, I am tempted to give it a shot on my AAO. I just need to get a CD and I'm good to go. Gonna download the ISO for it now.

Brian10161, Mar 28, 2009
  3. scudder2u

itres

Jaunty is indeed great. The only tweaks I did were blacklisting acer_wmi and installing acerhdf.
    Some applications are crashing from time to time but that's to be excepted with a beta.
    I rarely use Suspend and never Hibernate but I checked them out and they work.
    Boot and shutdown are really fast, huge improvement compared to intrepid.
    Sound is ok, I haven't tried the microphone yet.

itres, Mar 28, 2009
  4. scudder2u

45p1r3

My 8.10 installation was fairly new and had ssh keys and such I wasnt in a hurry to regenerate. I opted to use update-manager -d.
    The update went smooth as glass. sound working, wireless with wpa working, even saved wireless keys I used previously. Built in cam working. Overall very impressed. The interface is crisp. Some new notifications are nice...like network-manager. Compiz settings all stayed. Couldn't be happier with the upgrade so far.

Im not one to hibernate either so I cant comment. Fan seems to work well...while I believe it is always running, it does have two speeds and is quiet.

45p1r3, Mar 29, 2009
  5. scudder2u

mhardwick

I just installed it tonight on my 160gig 8.9 and the only thing I had to do was blacklist the two alternate WiFi drivers and that seemed to work fine.

Hibernation is working only sort of... It wont actually shut the machine down after its done putting everything into memory. I had to press and hold the power button to get it to shut down, then when i hit it again it booted up where i left it. go figure there.

Suspend is working properly however.

Webcam and Mic are both working. I am not sure about the SSD slots as I don't use them.

My biggest struggle was actually building the USB drive. For those looking to build one, the way i finally got it to work was to take the daily build from today, burn it to a cd on another machine, boot off of it and use the USB Startup Disk Creator. I wasn't running 8.10 prior to the install or i could have just used that instead, I was playing with Mandriva 2009. After that everything else has been cake.

mhardwick, Mar 29, 2009
  6. scudder2u

Bech

updated using update-manager -d
    went smoothly, but took awhile...
    blacklisted wifi and voila full functioning wifi.

Jaunty seems to be much more responsive and compiz af much much more smooth..

AAO110, 8 gb SSD, 1,5gb RAM

Bech, Mar 29, 2009
  7. scudder2u

kghunt

i blacklisted acer_wmi wifi works fine but network manager does not sava keys.

any ideas?

kghunt, Mar 29, 2009
  8. scudder2u

diverbelow

On 3/27 I installed Jaunty on my aspire one, and the install went great (so I installed jaunty on my wife's desktop and my brothers desktop) and they are loving it. One thing I did first was to use glxgears as to see what fps I was getting. With intrepid I was getting about 260 fps, but with jaunty I am getting 680 fps, and my aspire is lot more responsive and loving it. On my system, I do not like using ath5k as my connection speed is about 1 Mpbs, so I install the madwifi and get 48 or 54 Mpbs, and I also get the LEDs working with the rc.local tweak.

diverbelow, Mar 30, 2009
  9. scudder2u

argee

I downloaded 3/27 both the 9.04 beta and the 9.04 UNR. The UNR installed fine, but when I went to "switch desktops" to the
    non-unr desktop; ie, default Ubuntu), it went well until I rebooted. After that, I got the brown screen, and I could right click on
    it and get a display menu, but nothing else. I have had this problem before with the Desktop Switcher. I had no choice but to
    reinstall UNR. Tried it again, stock with no tweaks, and same thing.

Then I tried to install 9.04 beta, non-UNR version, and it said the Partition Manager was bad and would not install. My
    MD5SUM was fine. I downloaded a second time, same md5 fine but the install still bombed. So what I did was to install UNR
    again, and this time went to Synaptic and deleted all Compiz, UNR, and a few other things I did not want. It came up in the
    standard Ubuntu desktop. It's been 4 days since and all is fine.

I am fairly certain that the issue has been fixed, but I have not tried a download since then.

The only glitch I noticed is with the SD cards.

Sickboy is coming out with a new Kernel, and I'd like to see how that works.

argee, Apr 1, 2009
  10. scudder2u

sjb05004

maybe someone can be of assistance. i've been using jaunty with great success and it runs amazing, however there is one problem. I upgraded my wifi card with a dell 1390 and it has in the past been recognized and installed using restricted drivers. in jaunty it was recognized and i installed the restricted driver for the broadcom chipset. upon reboot it just states that the wireless is disabled even though the led is lit up. anyone have any ideas?

sjb05004, Apr 1, 2009
  11. scudder2u

Baza

Installed via upgard -d process. Now vertical scrolling doesn't seem to work although horizonal does?

Baza, Apr 3, 2009
  12. scudder2u

Baza

came back after I ran update manager obviously identified and fixed

Baza, Apr 4, 2009
  13. scudder2u

Baza

strike above...not working again even though its enabled in themouse settings

Baza, Apr 5, 2009
  14. scudder2u

scudder2u

Interesting Baza. I have not had consistent vertical scrolling until I ran update manager yesterday.... now I do have it and it seems to be persistent. In the past week or two I have had vertical scrolling work after a reboot... but only once then it just quit. Now it seems to working fine.

scudder2u, Apr 5, 2009
  15. scudder2u

Baza

Thanks for that. Good to know that someone else had the problem. I'll monitor. Perhaps it will sort itself out again.

Baza, Apr 5, 2009
  16. scudder2u

poffof

Running Kubuntu 9.04 Beta with latest updates installed here. The only problem I'm having with it is that playing 3D-accelerated games (like Warsow, but also others) eventually result in a frozen system. Sometimes pressing the power button gives a clean shutdown, other times nothing but holding the button down to forcefully power off the machine helps. What's especially annoying about it is that I have no idea if it's a hardware (overheating?) or software (drivers?) problem. I didn't have the issue with Linpus nor (K)ubuntu 8.10, but then again I never tried to play for a longer period of time on those. Also worth noting is that I have KDE desktop effects disabled, so they can't be messing things up.

How does the 3D side work for everyone else here?

poffof, Apr 5, 2009
  17. scudder2u

lotus49

I also failed twice to build a usb installation, which is something I have done numerous times before, so I backed up my previous installation and installed to my SSD. The wifi card worked with no more than an update. The backports package makes the LED flash in a somewhat random fashion.

Neither card slot appears to work at all. I added the pciehp option in menu.lst but it made no difference. Once I get these working I shall be very interested to see whether suspend works with the left hand card mounted on /home.

Sound output works fine but input is extremely quiet and doesn't seem to work at all in Skype.

EDIT

I seem (and I say seem, I don't want to get too excited after having trouble with this for a long time) to have got sound capture in Skype working after all. All it seemed to take was going to volume control and upping the recording level on "Capture: HDA Intel - ALC268 Analog (PulseAudio Mixer).

lotus49, Apr 6, 2009
  18. scudder2u

2manydjs

I was wondering: if I install the Beta version, will it fully automatically update to the LTS version once it is released?

2manydjs, Apr 6, 2009
  19. scudder2u

desperado

Does the memory card reader have xD card support in Jaunty? Being able to take the xD card from my Fuji F30 and just put into my Aspire without needing cables or card readers is very convenient while travelling.
    JP

desperado, Apr 6, 2009
  20. scudder2u

Baza

Just to report that after another rather large update, scrolling now working. Cannot seem to get flash to install though. Firefox say plugin needed, install - say alreadt installed?

Baza, Apr 6, 2009
Ask a Question