Jaunty 9.04 Beta Install Experience (Not UNR)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by scudder2u, Mar 28, 2009.

1. scudder2u

lotus49

Yes it will. There is nothing special about the beta and if you update fully on the day of release you will have the same version as someone who downloaded the final iso and updated.

lotus49, Apr 6, 2009
  2. scudder2u

lotus49

After creating the file /etc/modprobe.d/sdhci.conf with the following contents:

Code:
    options sdhci debug_quirks=1
    I can now use my left hand card reader with an SDHC card inserted at boot and my right hand one with an SD card as long as the reader had any card in it at boot. I tried suspending with the left hand card inserted and while it didn't totally trash the card (which is what happened under intrepid), it produced some pretty scary looking error messages and didn't remount properly so I shall hold off on doing any more experiments on this.

[EDIT]
    It turned out that the partition table on the SDHC card had been damaged. I was able to recreate it and recover the file system but this is clearly not safe at the moment so don't try it without a full recent backup.
    [/EDIT]

After reading literally tens of posts from people saying "everything works" I really am almost there but as ever, still not quite. In my case literally everything works except the card readers. Sound, wifi (including LED), wired network, webcam, suspend/resume (without affecting the functionality of the aforementioned), hotkeys and wifi kill switch. I have partial functionality for the card readers and the screen brightness indicator doesn't really show the correct level of brightness. I haven't tested hibernate but I understand that it works. I read a post by one of the kernel developers who said he had code to fix the card reader probs on the One and he (I think it was a he) hopes that the patch will make it into the 2.6.29 kernel.

I am frustratingly close but still not everything works but I really think it will be very soon - ever the optimist :D

lotus49, Apr 6, 2009
  3. scudder2u

2manydjs

Thanks Lotus!

Lotus, will the SD in the left reader always crash under suspension? Or only when you have your home folder mounted on it?

2manydjs, Apr 7, 2009
  4. scudder2u

lotus49

No it won't. Unfortunately, it seems to be somewhat unpredictable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I don't think it's anything to do with where it's mounted though.

The damage can be pretty severe. My card was trashed twice under intrepid and even repartitioning and running fsck didn't work. I had to wipe the card completely using dd and start again. This time it was only the partition table that was wiped, which was easy to restore.

At the moment I would not feel safe suspending with a mounted SD/SDHC. When the next kernel version comes out, I am hoping this will all be fixed.

lotus49, Apr 7, 2009
  5. scudder2u

c-m

I've installed jaunty and i don't have working wifi or any network manager showing

Also noted that if logged in as one user I do not get the option to switch from netbook remix mode to normal, but if i create a new user then I do.

c-m, Apr 7, 2009
  6. scudder2u

2manydjs

Thanks for your reply lotus. I just got a reply from hardran3 that sickboy's kernel shouldn't have this problem. I'll use that one instead. Hopefully in the next release this problem would be solved.

2manydjs, Apr 8, 2009
  7. scudder2u

lotus49

I have done a bit more testing with the SDHC card and suspend/resume and I can confidently say that this doesn't work and is usually dangerous.

I would be interested in your experience with sickboy's kernel.

lotus49, Apr 8, 2009
  8. scudder2u

argee

c-m, not to insult you, but I noticed that if you have an ethernet cable plugged in,
    the wireless will not turn on at all. If you unplug the cable, things start coming to life,
    the icon on the panel will not have the wireless stuff grayed out, etc.

I think once the first wireless link is set up, things will not gray out even with a cable
    plugged in. (only 88% sure of this, though!).

argee, Apr 8, 2009
  9. scudder2u

c-m

no this netbook has never been plugged into to anything.

When i start the netbook I can see the wifi bars in the top right but there is an X next to it.

I have added acer_wmi to the blacklist and modprobed ath5k, that worked once, but on the restart I get no wifi again.

c-m, Apr 9, 2009
  10. scudder2u

argee

The amazing thing is that we all have the same units, more or less, and get
    different results!

In my case, 9.04 beta, with an ether cable plugged in, the wireless is deactivated.
    No amount of clicking on the Network icon will give anything but a grayed-out
    wireless option.

But when the cable is pulled, it not only comes alive, it connects! (Well, the first
    time you have to tell it to which wireless AP you want).

At first I was put off by this behaviour, but ... on second thought, I like it.

A110L early version, 3309 bios.

argee, Apr 10, 2009
  11. scudder2u

charly

I’ve installed the jaunty RC by updating (update-manager -d) my ibex installation with sickboy kernel. Everything seems to work fine,so i can recommend this for everyone that doesn’t want to do a complete format.

I Myself might still do a format / re-install anyway since I’ve collected a lot of clutter discovering linux.

charly, Apr 22, 2009
  12. scudder2u

Xlater

I have Jaunty Beta UNR installed on my AAO and it works fine. But I'd like to install the release version of Jaunty, without the Netbook Remix, when it will be available (should be tomorrow, Apr 23). Is there a way to go from Jaunty Beta UNR to Official Jaunty (with no UNR), without having to reinstall from scratch?

Thanks in advance! :)

Xlater, Apr 22, 2009
Ask a Question