Jaunty, network manager and wifi switch off

Discussion in 'Linux' started by daldred, May 12, 2009.

1. daldred

daldred

Just wondering if anyone has found a way round this: when I turn off the wifi using the switch, the network manager doesn't seme to notice: it notices that the connection has gone, but keeps trying to re-connect, eventually bringing up a dialog asking for the password for the last connected network.

This is (a) annoying and (b) probably wasting some battery, and the point of switching off the wifi in the first place was to save power when there's no need for a connection (or none available).

Any thoughts / alternatives?

daldred, May 12, 2009
  2. daldred

Baza

Not much help I know, but I'm getting the same syndrome even when wifi is on. keeps asking for network key?

Baza, May 13, 2009
  3. daldred

daldred

I had that yesterday at work, but it proved to be a faulty router in that particular zone: I've not seen it otherwise.

Perhaps for the 'wifi turned off' situation I just have to manually disable wireless in NetworkManager at the same time; there should be a better way, though!

daldred, May 13, 2009
  4. daldred

aabxx

The "kill switch" works properly, if you insert the correct code for it in ie. rc.local. It doesn't disable the device, it disables the radio. I have tested this myself several times, and it does save considerable battery time.

aabxx, May 19, 2009
  5. daldred

daldred

Yes, I can get the radio to go off using the switch - but the network applet doesn't seem to be 'aware' of this and keeps trying to connect!

daldred, May 21, 2009
  6. daldred

redbook

Although it goes completely against the linux ethos I use ndiswrapper and have never had this problem, as a bonus I also have the solid light to show that the wireless is active.

redbook, May 22, 2009
  7. daldred

sijmes

Did you Ndis the xp driver from acer...? and do i understand that your wifi light works too ...?

sijmes, May 28, 2009
Ask a Question