Java + Firefox = A frustrated me

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Flux101, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Flux101

Flux101

Hey I'm having some problems here... I read the icedtea java stuff isn't great, so I got rid of it and followed the instructions here: http://fedorasolved.org/browser-solutions/java-i386, and also from a PDF on the Acer website that's been linked to on these forums.

But I still don't have any Java in Firefox. I'm using FF3 (although it appears to be in the FF2.x folder but otherwise is working fine). The only variations I seem to have is - with icedtea installed, I get a message at the bottom saying applet not initialized, then without icedtea, it tells me the Java plugin isn't installed. But when I come to (re)install the plugin downloaded from the proper Java site (and uninstalling icedtea), it says Java is already installed?! What's going on here?!

Flux101, Sep 6, 2008
  2. Flux101

macles

I recommend to uninstall the Java you already installed first, and then try this.

macles, Sep 6, 2008
  3. Flux101

Flux101

Godlike! Thanks a lot, working fine now. :)

Flux101, Sep 6, 2008
  4. Flux101

ShortCurcuited

Hey just bought this AA1 also a "newbie" been on some web sites trying to look at movie clips but tell me I need "JAVA" Came to forum here trying to follow
    this thread, about uninstalling and installing "JAVA" First how do I know what ver. of Fedora do I have 8 or 9? I downloaded "jre-6u7-linux-i585-rpm.bin"
    Need help in trying to remove and install the downloaded JAVA.. Go easy just a newbie!!

ShortCurcuited, Sep 6, 2008
  5. Flux101

Flux101

I just went into add/remove software package manager, searched for Java and unticked everything to do with Java, then followed the instructions at the link above. There were 3 things I had to remove - 2 of them IcedTea, and the other one was a failed Java install I'd attempted, which I guess won't show up for you if you've not tried it yet.

Flux101, Sep 7, 2008
  6. Flux101

ShortCurcuited

Hey Flux,
    Was able to delete the Java 1.7.0-0 icedtea , I downloaded the required java (jre-6u7-linux-i585.bin) and see it the Downloads folder.
    When I'm in a terminal window as a user I changed the cd/ to the Downloads then type sudo bash Downloads/jre-6u7-linux -i585.bin and "Enter" I keep getting "No such file or Dir."?? Can't seem to get pass the first step .. Any help would be great!! Thanks, George

ShortCurcuited, Sep 8, 2008
  7. Flux101

Flux101

If you'd already done cd/ to Downloads, you don't need to include Downloads in the command.

sudo bash jre-6u7-linux -i585.bin

is the command you need if you're already in the downloads folder.

Flux101, Sep 9, 2008
  8. Flux101

ShortCurcuited

Hey, Been tried up at work. OK I'm still stuck and still can't figure this "Download out" here's what I have:
    From my desktop and open the "downloads" folder I see the file but why is it when I open a terminal window and change the directory
    to Downloads and then use the ls command the file doesn't show up?

[user@localhost ~]$ ls
    Desktop Documents Downloads Music Pictures Videos
    [user@localhost ~]$ cd Downloads
    [user@localhost Downloads]$ ls
    [user@localhost Downloads]$

I tried your command but it still doesn't work.
    [user@localhost ~]$ cd Downloads
    [user@localhost Downloads]$ sudo bash jre-6u7-linux-i585.bin
    bash: jre-6u7-linux-i585.bin: No such file or directory

Sorry if I seem dumb about it but I'm really trying to learn..
    Thanks, George

ShortCurcuited, Sep 13, 2008
Ask a Question