Just bought an AA1 today

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by hamburglar, Aug 24, 2008.

1. hamburglar

hamburglar

$349 for the XP/120GB version at Microcenter...pretty awesome so far. Battery life is pretty disappointing...but I'm sure I'lll be getting the 6-cell later on.

Has anybody added bluetooth internally yet?

hamburglar, Aug 24, 2008
  2. hamburglar

hmraao

Search here for
    Code:
    +tnkgrl +bluetooth
    Ephraim Tutt...

hmraao, Aug 29, 2008
  3. hamburglar

bensully

I too bought one today. Had to drive all over the state of kansas to find one though. Three best buys each said the next had some in. Turns out I should have gone to microcenter first as i usually do, they had 150.

I'm extremely satisfied with this machine. Honestly the battery life isn't that bad. I guess the only thing i have to compare it too is an overclocked inspiron 9300 mammoth desktop replacement which will garner an hour if i'm lucky.

I am looking to buy the 6 cell battery when it's a decent price.

bensully, Aug 29, 2008
  4. hamburglar

Guest Guest

I get 2:45 pretty consistently with XP when I'm just browsing etc at medium brightness

Guest, Aug 29, 2008
  5. hamburglar

clevin

i only got just about 2 hrs browsing with quite low screen brightness. Maybe I surfing too intense? :D

clevin, Aug 29, 2008
  6. hamburglar

billr

Hi

I just git mine yesterday. 120gHDD XP 512MB - i get quite large variations in battery life. Got 1hr 45 when spent time totally on one live news channel streaming live feed. Got 2hrs 15 when on radio channel again nothing else just radio stream
    Both with screen on max brightness. That seems ok to me. i'm gonna try same thing but with screen at half brightness.

The manual has some tips on how to maximise overall battery life

billr, Aug 29, 2008
  7. hamburglar

Guest Guest

yeah flash and most especially streaming video really lowers my battery time. It just takes up too much cpu I guess.

Guest, Aug 30, 2008
  8. hamburglar

billr

Hi
    Yes and just look at batt life when downloading - MS Updater took my batt from 1hr 25 remaining to 27 mins remaining in just 25mins of a download...and it still hadn't finished when I had to plug in ac power...oh well only happens now and then..

Of course you might be doing something critical that takes time when MS sucks all the power out!! I guess switch off wifi at such a time....Unless your 'critical bit of work used wifi too....... aarg!

billr, Aug 30, 2008
  9. hamburglar

micha

Ordered mine from Newegg... hopefully it'll be here sometime next week. Can hardly wait.

micha, Aug 30, 2008
  10. hamburglar

jwr

I just received mine today. Purchased it from Best Buy over the phone. I am "very" happy with it. The fan isn't noisy at all... not at all. The version I purchased is the 1 gig, 120 gig HDD with XP. Very nice. Very happy so far.

I've yet to install anti virus and firewall. I'm also going to try my MagicJack on it and see how it works.

Blessings

jwr

jwr, Aug 30, 2008
  11. hamburglar

billr

hI

It's a great little maxhine (GLM) :D
    maybe fan noise affected early batch of AA1? or a rogue batch?

I've yet to hear the fan...or the disc for that matter and I ;ve had my
    AA1 constantly on 8-10hrs a day since I got it 2 days ago....

billr, Aug 30, 2008
  12. hamburglar

hmraao

I agree that it's a "great little machine," but you might want to get either it or your hearing tested, because, as quiet as it is, it isn't silent.

hmraao, Aug 31, 2008
  13. hamburglar

penandpaper

the acer i also have is virtually noiseless. i dont hear a fan (if there is one) and the HD is also relatively quiet. unless you work in a sound-proof chamber, this lapton carries virtually no noise.

penandpaper, Aug 31, 2008
  14. hamburglar

kentris

Gotta agree. I don't know what this fan noise thing that some users are experiencing but I was messing around with that AA1Fan Control and when the fan did kick in, didn't hear much. The noise level was next to nothing, I can only hear it if I really try to listen out for it.

kentris, Aug 31, 2008
  15. hamburglar

billr

hi

I think u might be right lol my hearing started to go when I got to 40...and that was a while back too!! I reckon the younger one3s here will probably pick up the high frequesncy whirr of the fan better..

there are advantages to being older...just have to look harder for them!! :D :D

billr, Sep 1, 2008
  16. hamburglar

micha

It has arrived :D Playing with it now and of course running into problems right away, but this forum is very nice regarding that ;)

micha, Sep 5, 2008
Ask a Question