Just bought my Aspire One D250

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by browwiw, Aug 5, 2009.

1. browwiw

browwiw

I've had my Aspire One D250 about a day now and I'm really enjoying it. I've already unistalled all the crap software I don't want (Acer Games, McAfee, Microsoft Office, etc) and installed things I did want (AbiWord, AVG, Firefox, etc) and have already updated the bios (boy, did that screen get bright) and ran UniBlue to update the chipset drivers. And, of course, I've set up the desk top the way I like it and beaten the Starup into submission.

So, anyways, all you learned people, what else should I do to fully update and optimize my fresh out of the box AOD250? Are there any critical Acer updates I need right away? And third party stuff that will safely boost performance? Am I correct in assuming that the RAM can be upgraded to 2 GIGs (and if so, what's the best price in town)? I just want my netbook to be all the netbook it can be.

Thanks in advance!

browwiw, Aug 5, 2009
  2. browwiw

ashram

ram was a piece of cake ($25 area)
    with the latest bios you now have full use of the 2nd mini pci-e slot (unless you have the 3g model)

ashram, Aug 5, 2009
  3. browwiw

browwiw

I believe I have the 3g model...that's the empty slot on the bottom left had side, right (yes, I took the back off it as soon as I got it)? I only have the one RAM slot. But...I should be able to swap that 1 gig stick out for a 2 gig one, right?

My exact model number is D250-1165, btw.

browwiw, Aug 5, 2009
  4. browwiw

ashram

the 3g model would have a card in that slot. if it's empty, then you have an available slot!

and yes, pull the 1GB stick and replace it with a 2GB stick.

ashram, Aug 5, 2009
  5. browwiw

browwiw

Ah, ok. I had read that the 3g card was going to come out and you could eventually put in that slot. What can I put in that slot besides a 3g card? I just use my phone as a modem. Do you suggest a particular vendor to buy the RAM from?

Thanks for the info, btw.

browwiw, Aug 5, 2009
  6. browwiw

ashram

get the good stuff, crucial, ocz, etc.... stay away from the cheaper no names... they seem to heat up quite a bit.

currently in my 3g slot i have a broadcom bcm70010/70012 video accelerator...1080p file playback and a non-hd screen!!!

ashram, Aug 5, 2009
  7. browwiw

browwiw

Yeah,I'll just newegg it on the RAM.

Now, the video accelerator does sound very cool. Is there a list of stuff you can plug in there? I like options.

browwiw, Aug 5, 2009
  8. browwiw

ashram

almost any mini pci-e device should work... such as 3g modems, wi-fi cards, video accelerators (only 1 that i know of), bluetooth (my new dell has a mini pci-e bluetooth card with antenna) and more... if available.

ashram, Aug 5, 2009
  9. browwiw

browwiw

Thanks, ashram, you've been really helpful.

browwiw, Aug 5, 2009
Ask a Question