Just bought the Acer AO532h-2789 10.1" With Windows7 Starter

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by woogyboogy, Mar 3, 2010.

1. woogyboogy

woogyboogy

Ok, so i just bought the Acer AO532h-2789 and it has Windows 7 Starter, which is the dumbest thing ever, and i was wondering if it was possible to put windows XP on it?

woogyboogy, Mar 3, 2010
  2. woogyboogy

vpnavy

You can if you want. However, what is wrong with Windows 7? You do realize you can download a free package that will make the START Menu function like XP? You can also change other settings to replicate XP...

vpnavy, Mar 4, 2010
  3. woogyboogy

woogyboogy

Its actually Windows 7 Starter, and its horrible especially on a netbook, and how would you go about putting Windows XP on it?

woogyboogy, Mar 4, 2010
  4. woogyboogy

killuhjason

killuhjason, Mar 4, 2010
  5. woogyboogy

vpnavy

vpnavy, Mar 4, 2010
  6. woogyboogy

Swarvey Moderator

@vpnavy

I think what killuhjason meant is that he has no problems with Windows 7, but he was merely pointing out that you obviously misread the OP in that they have Win 7 Starter Edition, which is as restricted as a nun's nasty. Which is as good a reason to distaste the OS as any. I would take a wild stab at guessing the OP doesn't want to pay for a new OS when they have a perfectly good, already paid for Win XP. In that case I too would be leaning towards installing XP over a cripled Win 7.

I don't think anyone here has a problem with Win 7, just the starter editions.

Swarvey, Mar 4, 2010
  7. woogyboogy

vpnavy

Understood and thanks.

vpnavy, Mar 4, 2010
  8. woogyboogy

woogyboogy

Ok, so is there any way to actually get Windows XP on it?

woogyboogy, Mar 4, 2010
  9. woogyboogy

SloNicK

After purchase immediately formatted the drive and install Win7 Ultimate. But later put WinXP - the difference is very big. In WinXP everything works much faster! But the battery life is higher in Win7.
    To install WinXP with usb-drive you can use this program: http://wintoflash.com/download/en/ (WinToFlash).

SloNicK, Mar 4, 2010
  10. woogyboogy

woogyboogy

So you can't put XP on it if starter is the current OS but if Win7 Ultimate is the OS then you can downgrade to XP? Is that what your saying?

woogyboogy, Mar 4, 2010
  11. woogyboogy

Swarvey Moderator

The easiest way to get XP onto your netbook (yes it is possible) is to get your install media, which I'm guessing is an XP CD, put it in an external USB CD-RW or DVD-RW drive, boot from it, clear out the partitions and format the drive, then continue with the installation as you would on any other PC.

If you're not familiar with the process, I'll see if I can hunt down a step-by-step for ya.

Swarvey, Mar 4, 2010
  12. woogyboogy

woogyboogy

I appreciate your help, is there anyway you could find that step-by-step guide, that would be so amazing!

woogyboogy, Mar 4, 2010
  13. woogyboogy

Swarvey Moderator

If you do a search around the forums, I'm sure you'll find other people that have already done similar things, the difference being you want to erase all partitions (I'm guessing so anyway, if you want XP i doubt you'll want a Win7 Starter Edition recovery partition)

During the XP setup, you should be given the option to alter/delete partitions.

The first thing you'll need is to boot your XP disk from an external USB DVD-RW, once you continue through the setup, you'll get to a screen asking you where to install the OS. From here you can delete the partitions. It's not really that difficult, just read the screen thoroughly and follow the prompts.

Swarvey, Mar 5, 2010
  14. woogyboogy

Willard

AFAIK you don't have the option to downgrade to XP at no cost.

You'll need a copy of the XP cd and a valid license to install it - or to purchase a copy.

Willard, Mar 10, 2010
  15. woogyboogy

Swarvey Moderator

As per my previous post, I have made the assumption that the OP already has the install media, installing XP has nothing to do with what OS came with the laptop. They havent mentioned anything to the contrary at least.

The only thing that having Win7 Stater edition preinstalled means, is that if they order recovery disks, they should be sent Win7 recovery disks.

So if any of you have an already paid-for (or otherwise acquired) XP installation media, there is no restriction other than availability of drivers, preventing you from downgrading the OS.

Swarvey, Mar 17, 2010
  16. woogyboogy

ingemaus

Windows 7 Ultimate works awesome on the little sucker!

ingemaus, Apr 9, 2010
  17. woogyboogy

victor_dot_t

Re: Just bought the Acer AO532h-2789 10.1" With Windows7 Sta

Hello guys i hope u can answer few of my questions. im quite new here so please bear with me...
    Recently i bought D255 dual core 1.5Ghz, 1G DD3 and 250HDD.
    and so i few questions from previous posts below w/c copied below...

"You can if you want. However, what is wrong with Windows 7? You do realize you can download a free package that will make the START Menu function like XP? You can also change other settings to replicate XP..."

>>> What software is this? Win7 explorer is quite confusing for me, Im used to XP explorer.

"After purchase immediately formatted the drive and install Win7 Ultimate. But later put WinXP - the difference is very big. In WinXP everything works much faster! But the battery life is higher in Win7."

>>> Any reason why XP consume more power?
    >>> is the powr management of Win7 any better?
    >>> is there an equivalent software that can manage the power?

To install WinXP with usb-drive you can use this program: http://wintoflash.com/download/en/ (WinToFlash).

>>> recently i have tried installing XP using this software and had encountered bootup probelem.
    here are the steps i have taken:
    1. install EASEUS
    2. Partition drive C: 60Gig
    3. After reboot have drive E, managed and changed drive letters so that HDD are C and D, E is virtualdvd
    4. used wintoflash from iso done by nLite from another PC.
    5. changed in bios the sata to ide.
    6. boot from usb, installed the 1st step
    7. boot from usb to do 2nd step, but Hal.dll error
    8. boot from usb to debug hal, cannot proceed.
    9. redo nlite with raid driver, f6
    10. change ide to ahci
    11. boot to usb again but same problem as steps 6 - 8.

it seems that wintoflash is not working. so i tried different strategy...
    there is http://www.usboot.org that copies your hard drive to a USB...
    so i setup a virtual machine with usb support (http://www.virtualbox.org/) from another machine.

1. setup first the XP and boot normally
    2. run the command promt from phase-i to phase-iii of usboot (this copies the fresh setup of XP from VM to the USB HDD.
    3. removed the USB HDD with XP and boot on D255, but stops...
    4. i tried booting this USB HDD from the machine i setup but ok.

my other machine is Aspire 6935G XP pro, 320 Gig SATA = IDE

i hope u guys can help me on this, thanks in advance....

Victor

victor_dot_t, Oct 20, 2010
Ask a Question