Just got a nice case from PC World (UK)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sjedwardz, Oct 4, 2008.

1. sjedwardz

sjedwardz

I bought the Aspire one 150gb XP model in the week - really impressed with it. I did a fair amount of research on netbooks and this one worked the best for me.

However, the case Acer give you is woeful!

So a trip over to PC World to try out bags was in order. All of the laptops bags were way to big and really defeated the point of having a netbook in the first place! And the netbook ones were just a bit too small, some managed to just about take the AAO with a bit of squeezing but couldn't then accommodate the power supply.

I then found this
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/ ... oid=-34840

Its designed for DVD players but is just the right size and can tale the PSU. Plus it comes with a load of straps that allow you to suspend it over the front seats so the kids can watch a movie - Nice :p

And all for £19.98!

sjedwardz, Oct 4, 2008
  2. sjedwardz

mxb

Hi,
    I also bought a case, but from Currys (UK).
    Although I found PC World selling it slightly cheaper at £19.99 :x
    Its the Case Logic HDC2. (I think someone may have mentioned it elsewhere ?)
    The AAO (or AA1 ? which ?) fits as snug as a bug in the front compartment, and the power adapter fits nicely into the pouch in front of that (even with the large UK type outlet plug).
    The compartment is surrounded by foam, and the front zip up cover is semi rigid for protection.
    Then in the back compartment there is a pouch that will take a mouse, plus slots for DVDs that will accomodate them inside the thin version of the rigid plastic covers.
    The other side of that compartment has a zipped mesh section that I have a Kensington lock cable in and other odds and ends.
    So, if you want a case thats a bit more "formal" and semi rigid, check it out.

mxb, Oct 4, 2008
  3. sjedwardz

OneHead

Yep, I stumbled across the exact same one (Caselogic HDC-2), it's a perfect fit and if you want you can still use a neoprene sleeve (for when you don't want to drag your charger and bits & pieces around) and there's room for the A1 while still in the sleeve as well -- best of both worlds!
    http://www.caselogic.com/external_h...c_case/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=80409
    If you want a neat sleeve, Carphone Warehouse sell one designed for the Elonex netbooks they carry, but there are a perfect fit for the A1. Most of the EeePC sleeves are too small.

OneHead, Oct 5, 2008
  4. sjedwardz

mxb

Thanks, I should have posted the link to Case Logic myself, sorry about that.
    The photo shots there show it off well.
    I just checked Carephone Warehouse's website for the sleeve and see what you mean, for £8.99.
    Are they the same price in store do you know ?
    Thank god they sell a black version, shocking pink is definitely not my colour !!
    Are they as good as or better than Acer's sleeves ?

mxb, Oct 5, 2008
  5. sjedwardz

OneHead

I paid €20 in-store for the Carphone Warehouse sleeve, it's all black on one side, with some white on the other which actually turns out to be a zip pocket on the outside that would neatly hold a few small items (but probably not the charger!). I haven't seen the Acer sleeve other than on the website so I can't compare directly. I'm very happy with the CW sleeve, it's also big enough that it would take A1 with the 6-cell battery fitted, should I ever decide to invest in one!

OneHead, Oct 9, 2008
  6. sjedwardz

mxb

I tried to get the sleeve from the Carphone Warehouse website but the only choice you get on checkout is the pink one.
    I guess they are out of the black, so I bought one from my local store.
    Unfortunately they stung me over the price £14.99 !! :x
    Anyway as you said the fit is fantastic, both for the AAO and the case, like they were specially made for each other... :D

mxb, Oct 11, 2008
  7. sjedwardz

N6546R

Another option is a book case. A Books-A-Million store I stopped in on a trib (New Bern NC) had a pile of bible covers, looked s though a One would fit nicely into them. Leather, denim, nauga...just abut every kind of material.

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Oct 11, 2008
  8. sjedwardz

yegon

Bought a nice little case from PC world today, again a Case Logic, but different to the original posters - it's actually designed for an external hard disk. 20 quid.

http://www.caselogic.com/external_hard_ ... elid=80407

I use my AAO with the 3rd party 6600 battery, and the AAO with this attached fits perfectly in this case, with a slight (very easy) modification - there's a fabric mesh material zipper that you need to cut out with a pair of scissors for it to fit properly. An AAO with the normal battery would be a pretty good fit too, although inevitably would be less of a tight fit. It wasn't pot luck re: size when I bought it as they had AAO's on display which I held the case up against.

It doesn't have room for any other accessories (exactly what I was looking for), just the AAO itself. The great thing thing about the 6600 battery is that there's absolutely no need to carry the PSU anyway - 6+ hours battery life FTW!

Oh, also note that it doesn't offer any great protection should you drop it.

yegon, Oct 11, 2008
  9. sjedwardz

OneHead

... I also have one of those (for a hard drive) and found it too tight a fit ... but it is smaller than the other one.

OneHead, Oct 11, 2008
  10. sjedwardz

yegon

Did you cut out the mesh material and zipper in the "lid" bit? I found that it wouldn't fit at all with that in, but is a nice match when you've ripped that out and folded down the velcro yellow divider in the main compartment.

yegon, Oct 12, 2008
  11. sjedwardz

kevin

Comet (UK) have a case specifically made for the AA1. It's a perfect fit, and there's a little pouch on the side for the PSU, etc. It will just fit the PSU, cables, and mouse.

It's exactly right; the only problem is the price -- £29.99 (ouch!)

kevin, Oct 12, 2008
  12. sjedwardz

OneHead

Yes it would fit if you cut it, but I didn't want to do that so I use it for a hard drive instead now. I went for the bigger bag described above because I needed a "one bag for all" solution that takes the charger, a small external (Western Digital) 2.5" USB drive, and a few other bits and pieces.

OneHead, Oct 12, 2008
  13. sjedwardz

yegon

Ah right, fair do's. I was simply after something that held only the AAO, which is all this case is suitable for.

yegon, Oct 12, 2008
Ask a Question