Just got my One..

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by crackbook, Aug 14, 2008.

1. crackbook

crackbook

8GB SSD, added a 4GB SDHC and will put ram in soon. LOVE IT! Thanks for the info on the forum, it has been a blessing!

crackbook, Aug 14, 2008
  2. crackbook

ruckus

Grats! Still need to pick one up myself!

ruckus, Aug 15, 2008
  3. crackbook

Sid

So now you have it, what plans do you have for expansion or changes?

Sid, Aug 15, 2008
  4. crackbook

crackbook

Well as a long time Linux and Mac user I somehow ended up in the world of Windows Server administration as a career.. I got tired of lugging around a big Dell so I installed another gig of RAM, loaded XP SP3, added a sdhc, tweaked the OS to run smoothly and now I can do my entire job from the One without carrying close to 10 pounds of gear with me. :lol: I also use Backtrack 3 on a live USB for penetration testing and other security things so pretty much the One is now my main computer(out of 10 or so that I have at my house :geek: )

Being able to remote in to my servers and support my users on this little 'book is amazing and I am truly amazed at the performance I am getting out of such a inexpensive and small machine. I may get another one or switch to an Ubuntu install and then use a virtual machine for Windows. I hope this netbook trend continues, these are the kind of gadgets that I have been dreaming about since I was a kid(I even have a black and white screen handheld PC from the 90s)

crackbook, Aug 16, 2008
  5. crackbook

Ace_Rimmer

"I hope this netbook trend continues, these are the kind of gadgets that I have been dreaming about since I was a kid..."

I could not agree more! I have been crazy for laptops ever since I saw an old Radio Shack model over 20 years ago. Finally got my first laptop about five years ago, a heavy 15-incher with 2.8 GHz P4 and terrible battery life.

I have been chasing the dream through a second laptop (HP with dual-core Centrino and very good performance), two PDAs, and a Nokia N800, and I think the Aspire One has finally hit the spot!

Ace_Rimmer, Aug 16, 2008
  6. crackbook

Daball

Last Sunday I dropped into the TigerDirect store in Markham Ontario. They had 8 of the 120 gig blue Aspire ones left out of the 30 they got he day before. Unfortunately it was 4 days to payday. I waited all week and noticed that the blue 120 gig had disappeared from TigerDiect's online store. NCIX was also reporting that they were out of stock. Friday I started phoning around to TigerDirect and Canada Computer stores to see if there might be one somewhere. I found one in Toronto at TigerDirect. I had the put it aside for me (they only had the one) and I took off to pick it up. Big traffic jam as I got close to Toronto and after picking it up I had to drive home through torrential rain and funnel clouds. Made it home and introduced my shiny new A1 to his big brother, my 17 inch aspire. They seem to get along well :D As soon as I figure out how, I will post the pic.

Daball, Aug 17, 2008
  7. crackbook

crackbook

my local store had over 30 of each when I got mine.. :shock:

crackbook, Aug 17, 2008
  8. crackbook

Daball

Just in the process of installing Tiny XP. I'd like to put linpus back on also but I think the recovery DVD will wipe out the drive and I'll lose Xp. I'll have to look into it.

Daball, Aug 17, 2008
  9. crackbook

crackbook

I did a full SP3 clean install :lol: I have Nlite though and may try to make a aspire slipstream iso.

crackbook, Aug 17, 2008
  10. crackbook

IslandBookworm

How is it that brick-and-mortar stores have them and not the online stores???

IslandBookworm, Aug 17, 2008
Ask a Question