KDE/GNOME

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by arthurinparis, Nov 13, 2008.

1. arthurinparis

arthurinparis

Hey guys,

I have been switching back and forth between Linpus and Ubuntu 8.10, but all the hacking (that didn't work whatsoever) made me come back to Linpus...

As I was starting from scratch with Linpus, I noticed in the Add/Remove program that Gnome is available to install. I would like to know if anyone has tried to install Gnome and uninstall KDE....And if someone has, what happened?

A thread may already exist but I haven't found it, if so, please let me know :D

Thanks guys, this forum is unbelievably helpful for Linux newbies like I am,

Arthur

arthurinparis, Nov 13, 2008
  2. arthurinparis

donec

Hi Arthur, if you try Mandriva 2009 Gnome there are only 2 hacks I used which are adding a line to a couple of files and then installing from synaptic a couple things and sound works, mic works, headset work properly, Touchpad works (but I am too clumsy to use it), Wireless works great, both SD card readers work, Compiz works (but slows down thing a little so I just turn it on sometimes with the MCC (Mandriva Control Center)) and others say their suspend works but I don't use it and the one time I tested it I needed to completely restore my system from the backup I made using Rbil's backup script (works great).

On a separate note I setup my Mandriva using my left 16Gb SDHC card as home and had to use a USB card reader to format it and for it to be seen by Mandriva install process. This left more room for my root configuration on the 8Gb SSD.

There is a KDE version but from what I have read it has more problems. I used to be a firm KDE user but have switched and I like the looks of Gnome. I do use some of the KDE programs since they run fine in Mandriva 2009 Gnome.

donec, Nov 13, 2008
  3. arthurinparis

shawfield

Hi

Do you have a guide to the 'couple of lines' that need to be changed for Mandriva 09 to work ?

Thanks

shawfield, Nov 14, 2008
  4. arthurinparis

donec

Add the following lines to make Mandriva work.

Add the following lines to my /etc/modprobe.conf
    Add the following lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
    The # makes the line following it to be just a comment.

donec, Nov 14, 2008
Ask a Question