KDE lost its menu and settings options

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jimyjazz, Oct 30, 2008.

1. jimyjazz

jimyjazz

I was very pleased because I manage to install KDE on my acer one, but after a couple of reboots the menu and the setting options just disappeared and many other things are not working properly ( the Run Command from the menu doesn't work).
    Any suggestions to fix this mess would be appreciated. Cheers.

jimyjazz, Oct 30, 2008
  2. jimyjazz

jimyjazz

update: I think that the problem is when you use the same user with 2 different GUIs (graphical user interface), some how your settings and menus get destroy in the process. So if you want to experiment with different GUIs is probably a good idea to create separate users for each one of them.
    I don't know the reason behind this, so may be some one else can shed some light on the issue.

jimyjazz, Nov 7, 2008
  3. jimyjazz

rbil

It doesn't surprise me, as Acer has really hacked this system in an attempt to make this netbook more of an appliance than a computer. They've done so many unconventional things compared to what one would expect from a regular Linux box. With a normal Linux computer you'd have for example a number of consoles - 6 for example that can be called up to run a CLI and 7 and up that can run a GUI. You could for example run Gnome in console 7 and KDE in console 8, simultaneously and switch between the two using CTRL+ALT+F7 and CTRL+ALT+F8 . User configuration files are hidden in hidden files/directories (dot files) within that user's userspace. A normal Linux box will keep one window manager/environment from overwriting the needed configuration files, whereas with this hacked together Linpus system, Acer didn't plan for users to try to extend them into becoming real Linux computers. Obviously, some configuration files are being overwritten by Acer when the system boots up, leaving KDE to stumble in your case. Your solution of running a different window environment by a different user is obviously protecting those configuration files from being overwritten as long as you devote one environment to one user and the other environment to another user.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 8, 2008
Ask a Question