Keyboard Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by UpgradeMe, Mar 24, 2016.

1. UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

I have seen some foams and stuff, but my keyboard is preeeeetty nasty these days. What exactly is the best way to get dust and stuff out if the keys have space under them? As in, if I remove a key, it has little clippy things and there's air under them where stuff can get trapped.

UpgradeMe, Mar 24, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. UpgradeMe

something back

Don't remove the keys it's near impossible to refit them.

You can purchase a can of air that will remove dust, and things under the keys,
    just be very careful, and use the spray outside some are inflammable.

The cheapest way is to take the laptop to a auto repair shop “garage”
    and use the mechanics air gun for free.

The keys can be cleaned with household mild disinfectant use a “cotton bud” or
    “q-tip” .

something back, Mar 24, 2016
    UpgradeMe and IBMPC8088 like this.
  3. UpgradeMe

IBMPC8088

Yes, please don't remove the keys unless you're planning on replacing the entire keyboard. The glue and the springs on those keys are not made as well as they used to be, and they don't stay on whenever people try to lift them up to clean them. You end up with a functional keyboard that is missing keys more times than not when you do.

It's best to do as suggested and just use compressed air. If you have gentle alcohol wipes you can use those on the surface, but for getting into crevices, a q-tip works well enough.

There are some really tiny ones you can use that you can order which work even more precisely, but most of the q-tips you find packaged and ready to use at the store can be dabbed with rubbing alcohol and used carefully. The compressed air is always best between the two, but the best results for cleaning is to use a combo of both here.

IBMPC8088, Mar 24, 2016
    UpgradeMe, spence88 and IcyBC like this.
  4. UpgradeMe

IcyBC

IcyBC, Mar 24, 2016
    UpgradeMe and spence88 like this.
  5. UpgradeMe

spence88

Has anybody tried this? Please check number 14.
    I know it seems weird, but it suggests to try using the sticky edge of a Post-It note to clean the keys of the keyboard.
    I haven't tried it myself. Looks interesting though.

spence88, Mar 24, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  6. UpgradeMe

UpgradeMe

Wow, thanks for the tips guys. The only key I have ever removed was the space bar because it had a little soda spilled under it and was bothering the crap out of me by not releasing after pressing. I can take that one off and replace it no problem, so I'm sure I could do it with the rest of the kb, but an air can should work

UpgradeMe, Mar 24, 2016
  7. UpgradeMe

IcyBC

That is interesting but I am not very sure about doing it either. I can see how this will work removing things that stuck on the keys with the sticky part of the Post It Note. I have used tape to clean up dog hair on my clothing, so this is a bit like that.

IcyBC, Mar 25, 2016
Ask a Question