keyboard not working when installing

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by Major Kong, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Major Kong

Major Kong

Hi all.

I have the most peculiar problem: My keyboard works in the BIOS set up and within OS X, but whenever I try to press a key during installation nothing happens! It is like the keyboard is totally dead.

I was planning to upgrade my machine to iAtkos 5 today and hence tried to boot from the DVD. Nope. I pressed keys until I was blue but ended up in my HD installation anyways.

OK, time to play tough, I though. I fired up a Linux-on-a-stick and fdisk-ed the hard drive. Still the annoying prompt to press any key to boot from the DVD and if I don't I end up with an error message about a missing "com.apple.boot.Slist" something.

Bummer!

Anyone can shed some light on this? Right now I have a very nice, blue, brick... :(

Major Kong, Dec 1, 2008
  2. Major Kong

JeanLuc7

Hi - you forgot to select ApplePS2Keyboard.kext - this is the kernel extension to support the internal keyboard. You might use a USB keyboard and post-install the kext with the "kext helper" application

JL

JeanLuc7, Dec 1, 2008
  3. Major Kong

number42bus

You need to plug in an external keyboard as part of the install process.

I used and iMac USB keyboard however I'm sure a standard windows USB keyboard should also work.

number42bus, Dec 1, 2008
  4. Major Kong

Major Kong

Thanks.

I got it working with an Apple USB keyboard. Now I have a problem with a stop sign on the apple logo during startup which I have posted about in another thread. Things are not going my way; if this persists I will have to resort to Linux or (gasp) windows.

Major Kong, Dec 1, 2008
  5. Major Kong

number42bus

You need to boot up with the same boot cd used for install.

9. Install OS X as an erase and install with no optional installs - this should leave you with about 200MB space!
    10. Once install had finished, boot Acer from external USB drive using boot132 with USB mouse plugged in
    11. On the first boot132 screen, press enter
    12. On the second boot132 screen, choose 80 for second internal HDD
    13. Next, type cpus=1 and press enter

All you need to do now is get the Chameleon bootloader installed and you won't have to boot from the boot132 cd.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5726&start=110

number42bus, Dec 2, 2008
  6. Major Kong

Major Kong

Most peculiar indeed...

I had my AAO in for service and they flashed the BIOS with version 3307; this was the culprit. Not only did it hose my keyboard, I could not boot the iAtkos 5 DVD!

After I reflashed the BIOS to 3304 it proptly booted off the install DVD and I am right now in the middle of installation.

Major Kong, Dec 3, 2008
Ask a Question