keyboard, video, expansion, General Noob questions

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by erich, Feb 9, 2009.

1. erich

erich

I have an Aspire One with Linux and the solid state drive. I've searched the forum a few occasions, but probably not very well, since I haven't found a solution for these questions. I bought the machine in November and have been searching the forums on and off since then for answers to these questions:

1) Is there a way to shut off certain keys on the keyboard? Specifically, I would want to shut off the pg up and pg dn keys, since they are too close to shift key and being off by a millimeter can cause all kinds of trouble when I type a sentence in the middle of a word that happens to be a page up from where the sentence was supposed to go. I've seriously considered just prying the keys off with a steak knife, but ideally, I would like a way to toggle all directional keys (pg up, pg dn, and all the arrow keys) on and off so that they can be off when I am writing and on when I am editing or surfing.

2) I've resigned myself to the fact that the machine will not work with Netflix. (To be fair, Netflix does not work with the OS, so it's Netflix's fault.) However, I have not found a way to make it play common video files that people send me. This is odd, since it has no trouble with most streaming video. I've downloaded a couple programs recommended on the forum and have tried just opening the videos through Firefox. Is there some codec pack that I am supposed to have downloaded?

3) I figure just about any SDHC card will do for expansion, but is any one card better than another? I understand that class 6 cards are faster, but is the computer's interface with the ported card fast enough it to make a difference? Is the Sandisk Ultra II faster than class 6? Are there cards to avoid? Will having a larger drive speed up the machine? (I don't know if the OS uses the hard drive as virtual memory or not.)

Other than the keyboard thing, the computer has been just what I was looking for. (Unfortunately, the manual that comes with it is just not thorough.) The keyboard thing is the most important, since I use the computer primarily for word processing. Questions 2 and 3 are just looking for ways for the computer to exceed my expectations and the device's intended use.

EricH

erich, Feb 9, 2009
Ask a Question