Kismet on the One ...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jeppedal, Aug 3, 2008.

1. jeppedal

Kamel

I know this is an old post, but I prefer to look at the oldest posts for common problems (like getting kismet to work).

Just to further what the last post said, remember that a simple su just switches users. The PATH information is still the same as if you were under the last user, since when logging in to that user this information was likely set. In order to change these things, you have to include the - at the end.

For instance:

su -
    su root -
    su user -

For some reason, it has become common misinformation that su means superuser, and typing the - is an abbreviation for root. This isn't the case, and this information should help you in many experiences to come.

Of course, if it is the desired behavior to not change path/etc information (bash.rc executed script iirc), then you simply don't add the -.

Hope this helps! About to try the kismet info posted, if it doesn't work I'll report back of course :p (well, only after searching for more recent guides).

Kamel, Dec 20, 2008
Ask a Question