Kuki 3 OS for the AAO

Discussion in 'Linux' started by csmo, Oct 31, 2008.

1. csmo

leak

Re: Kuki

zaphod will you be so kind to go to our channel so i can help you out? :)
    You can check the info on our website.
    Thank you

leak, Nov 3, 2008
  2. csmo

leak

Hi csmo :) i will do my best to try answering to all your questions.
    So from the beggining.

Regarding the screenshots so far (http://www.kuki.me/wp-content/uploads/2 ... penbox.png), is Kuki going for a DSL Linux look-a-like tiny, clean interface or what is the goal? Is it too far fetched to expect anything similar to the eeeubuntu´s (interface)?[/quote]

The plan is to give this option to the user. i hope to provide either a clean fluxbox look or a netbook remix look by user's choice @ slim login manager.

Yes, i have an AAO myself. I bought it just to make kuki. And i plan to have everything working (even the leds) i found a way today of making those work.
    My plan is to make everything possible work, i aim kuki not for the powerusers (for them too) but for the end-user that needs something stable, fast and simple. Of course many bugs are still around and will be for a bit, also because my lack of free time to develop and test. Some broken iso can come out (like 2.0 that has some issues i did not notice because i finished 2.0 .iso at 3 am and was too tired to notice i had done the wrong command to produce the iso) it works. But not as expected. Also has a 40 second boot (fixed now to boot in 14 seconds ;) i will upload bootchart on website today).

It's a love story :) i decided to make a funny name out of a sweet name i call my fiancee.
    Since i am also a person that enjoys a great laugh this made me name the distro kuki as in "cookie".
    My point with the name was to remind people that linux can be fun and enjoyable, so might as well start with the name of it ;)

leak, Nov 3, 2008
  3. csmo

leak

[​IMG]

working hard on 2.1 fix ;)

leak, Nov 3, 2008
  4. csmo

scottro

Ok, I tried 2.0 and unfortunately, there were a few issues.

The wireless wasn't detected, doing modprobe ath5k got fatal not found and modprobe ath_pci got me unable to bind to HAL (or something similar.)

The keyboard layout in X was all wrong for the US. I couldn't get a |, the ? gave _ the _ gave ? but most weren't so reversed. Running dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg didn't fix it.

However, these, I think, are small glitches that you'll probably fix soon. Generally, I think it's quite nice. The terminal was too big for the window (using defaults). Most of this are things that I believe I could solve, but I'm so behind schedule this evening that I just wanted to give it a very quick try.

Despite these issues, I think it has really really good potential.

Thank you for all your efforts--the issues I mentioned above really aren't show stoppers to anyone with a bit of experience.

scottro, Nov 4, 2008
  5. csmo

scottro

I should add, in case it's important--I used unetbootin to make a bootable USB from the ISO.

scottro, Nov 4, 2008
  6. csmo

leak

Thank you for your efforts :)
    These problems all exist because i made a mistake when creating the iso and made a backup of my install instead of a distributable iso.
    so the Ubiquity Install wont do much.
    To change locales for X you can try to issue the command setxkbmap with your keycode next mine is pt-latin1 so thats why you must have it all garbled.
    the X configuration is fixed., the slow boot is fixed as you can see now boots in 14 seconds but i must make these changes persistent across .iso.
    I also included wifi-radar to help users with wifi but its not running from menu, it does however run from console with root issuing the command or a sudo wifi-radar.
    Also you should have ath5k, check if you are running the custom kernel because you have the option for the generic one even though kuki's the default one.
    do a lsmod | grep -i ath and check if ath5k is there or a modprobe -l | grep -i ath5. if so try to do a ifconfig wlan0 up.

Let me also add that at work i cannot come to forums so if any questions or doubts arise you are all welcome to come to our channel in freenode.
    #kukiLinux. I can have IM just cant come to forums so i will be able to help you there.
    a fix for 2.0 is due to download soon.
    cheers

leak, Nov 4, 2008
  7. csmo

zaphod

Thanks for the offer. If I get any free time and I can figure out how to get on the channel I will do so. You may well have released the final version beforehand though ;)

zaphod, Nov 4, 2008
  8. csmo

zaphod

The keyboard map issue is simply fixed by "sudo setxkbmap xx" where xx is the country code (e.g. fr for my French AZERTY keyboard)

zaphod, Nov 4, 2008
  9. csmo

scottro

Thanks. I used dpkg-reconfigured to fix it in console, and I was doing most of what I was doing in console.

Last night I was drawing a mental blank on setxbkmap--as I said, I knew it was something easily fixed, I was quite busy but wanted to at least look at kuki.
    I probably booted into the wrong kernel. I was getting ath5k Fatal, module not found when doing a modprobe of it.

Tonight, I should have a bit more time and be able to look at it a little more. I repeat, despite the problems I mentioned, I think it could really be good. (I'm not big on boot times, a fast boot would be nice, but it's not that important to me.) I'm also quite happy setting up wireless manually, so while adding wifi-radar is an excellent idea, for me, it's certainly not a deal breaker.

Once again, thanks and congratulations on this. Oh, one more minor point--I noticed, doing a text mode boot, that you'd put in the ledpin and softled sysctl options. As you've probably realized by now, they're not in the 2.6.27 kernel. No one seems to know what, if anything is replacing them. So, when it booted, I got an error, that they weren't found.

@leak, I hope you realize these are comments, not complaints, and I love the idea of a netbook O/S with openbox.

For you other testers, in case anyone's interested, I have a little page about openbox for fluxbox users. (Mainly for myself, to keep me from looking it up each time) at http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/fluxopen.html.

I'm not sure what the next version of kuki will look like, but I wonder if it's worthwhile leaving out that bottom panel that shows up by default. I haven't played with OpenBox in a few months, so I don't know if that's standard or not. I know older versions had a bottom taskbar, then the next version didn't, just suggesting that you use a 3rd party one. I'm not sure what the latest version is doing.

My biggest worry about kuki is what if leak gets too busy to continue with it?

As soon as it gets a tiny bit more polished, I'm going to start heavily recommending it to friends with the 8 GB SSD version.

scottro, Nov 4, 2008
  10. csmo

zaphod

That explains why I don't have WiFi. With the default boot I end up running the generic kernel with no ath5k.

zaphod, Nov 4, 2008
  11. csmo

scottro

This seems to be something that happens if you create the bootable USB with unetbootin. In the next few days, I'll few around with it and see if there's an easy workaround. I thought I had one this morning, (boot once and rename the akuki kernel,init and and SystemMap,) but it didn't work .

scottro, Nov 4, 2008
  12. csmo

leak

before i go to bed i passed here to say that i will always leave time in my personal life for kuki development . So don't worry.
    ;)

Ill answer to the rest of questions with more time tomorrow.

cheers :)

leak, Nov 5, 2008
  13. csmo

scottro

Have a good sleep. I posed most of my questions on the kuki forum--however, I think it would probably be good for at least one of the developers to stop by here, as I suspect there will be more action here.

Sigh, I'm so good at telling other people how *they* should do it. I'm installing on the other machine as I type. :)

scottro, Nov 5, 2008
  14. csmo

soleblaze

Hey leak, is kuki going to support installing on an encrypted lvm or did you take the initrd out of it to speed up booting?

soleblaze, Nov 5, 2008
  15. csmo

spaceholiday

I'm excited about this! I'm wondering if Kuki will include the fan fix that the Hardy and Intrepid guides include? I ask because in my thread asking for help here, I still wasn't able to make the script work properly (or at all). I'd love a distro that has this built in. :)

I have very limited linux experience but I'd like to support this in any way I can!

spaceholiday, Nov 5, 2008
  16. csmo

Guest Guest

I have tried alpha 2.0 last night. It looks promising. I can only provide feedback as an end user. So far it has not crashed on me, which is the good news.

Guest, Nov 6, 2008
  17. csmo

chadster

check out the screenshot of Kuki 2.1 www.kuki.me

chadster, Nov 6, 2008
  18. csmo

Andysan

Wow, thats come on massively since the last time i tried it, and that was only lat weekend. And i can still install all Debian apps and stuff?

Andysan, Nov 6, 2008
  19. csmo

leak

yes, you are able to expand kuki to whatever you like.
    You can even install gnome if you prefer. or any other window manager/app.
    Right now we provided a small faq with some of the available apps coming with 2.x.
    This however is always subject to change because i work on kuki everyday and consider apps that ppl tell me to see if they match what i want for kuki.

Simplicity - > xfce + light apps
    Stability and OOB experience
    Speed -> right now 14s but i still am able to improve this a bit further.
    Small size -> full install is now 1.3gb (i know it has grown a bit..but libs are taking over most of the space..sorry for that.)

If anyone has the free time and patience to try creating a nice simple walkthrough to install kuki from scratch i am always contactable in my kuki mail [email protected].

Thank you all for your patience and support it keeps me going everyday :)

leak, Nov 6, 2008
  20. csmo

micha

I'm rather excited about this. I really hope it'll stay small and light and fast out of the box, rather than a complete package with stuff you don't need (FF with plugins rather than IE completely loaded, eh? ;)).

I'm not experienced enough to try an alpha (or even beta) but I just want to give you a heads up and thank you for your efforts.

micha, Nov 7, 2008
Ask a Question