Kuki 3 OS for the AAO

Discussion in 'Linux' started by csmo, Oct 31, 2008.

1. csmo

daldred

Re: Kuki

I don't understand the issue at all, but recalled seeing it mentioned somewhere else: does this thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4256&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
    help at all?

ISTM there are two basic ways of approaching the distro size/useability question:

1. How much can be fitted in without breaking a reasonable size limit (say, a CD worth of iso and the sort of size the original Acer Linpus used) - leads to you choosing what is best for everyone, big downloads, and (sometimes) unrealistic expectations that the distro authors will support every app they include;

2. Make the release as small as possible, and leave everyone to add what they want - leads to small downloads, rapid installation, but new users getting frustrated at a lack of OOB functionality.

In between is a way adopted by one or two distros: provide a small iso and a reasonably easy way of adding a 'recommended' software list afterwards for full functionality. New users can install the recommended list with minimum fuss (open an application, provide root password, and click 'go', more experienced users select what they want and add their own favourite applications using their package manager of choice later.

(Sidux effectively does both - releases a 'lite' iso alongside a 'full' iso; you take your pick depending on your preference for how you set things up).

daldred, Nov 10, 2008
  2. csmo

micha

I wouldn't mind installing things like FF myself if it's reasonably easy. It makes more sense.

But Daldred makes a good point too.

micha, Nov 10, 2008
  3. csmo

donec

Why not just have FF be loaded from the synaptic manager, with maybe a read me note that this was done to decrease the size of the ISO?

donec, Nov 10, 2008
  4. csmo

daldred

.. and some way of displaying the readme on first boot. Again, I'm thinking newbie-friendly here!

daldred, Nov 10, 2008
  5. csmo

patrickthebold

Thanks for the effort on this. I'm looking forward till I have time to install and play with it. As for applications I think the less installed by default the better.
    The most important thing is that all of the hardware works out of the box. For me I know I wouldn't be using Open Office or the gimp, and I always felt that in linux its easier to install things than completely remove them. Whenever I remove something I feel there are lots of other packages lying around that I don't need any more. Just my 2 cents.

--Patrick

patrickthebold, Nov 10, 2008
  6. csmo

axcairns

My vote would be for ume but would understand if it was not included.

My priorities would be hardware support first second and third. Installing Firefox, UME (and Gnome if necessary) after install is small beer compared to working sd-cards, sound, mic, headphones, wifi, led's, suspend, hibernate...

Keep up the good work guys. After about 5 attempts at getting Ubuntu to 'just work' on my AAO, I gave up and went back to Linpus, but I will watch your progress with interest.

Cheers,

Allan

axcairns, Nov 14, 2008
  7. csmo

Jaycb

Allan's hit it on the head - if the hardware doesn't fully work people just won't bother trying it. Get the basic hardware going and then worry about the other stuff like different desktop environments later.

Jaycb, Nov 14, 2008
  8. csmo

scottw22

Speaking of hardware functionality, where on earth is this project right now? I'll use it if they've managed 100% OOB but I don't seem to be finding that sort of info on their website.

scottw22, Nov 14, 2008
  9. csmo

N6546R

Just a bit of perspective...I've used Linux since v0.9, back in the mid-90s, and probably thirty different distributions on a wide variety of hardware. There's never been a 100% out-of-the-box experience. Same can be said for Windows.

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Nov 14, 2008
  10. csmo

daldred

I don't think I *needed* to change anything on my last Sidux installation (not on the One) for everything to work. I *did* change stuff, but that was because I like some stuff working slightly differently from standard!

daldred, Nov 14, 2008
  11. csmo

soleblaze

About the only thing I think a distro like this would have problems with OOB hardware wise is the sound driver. Haven't really seen any solutions for mic + headphone detection + surviving hibernation/sleep. Everything else should work fine (not withstanding the weird wireless bugs that look to be hardware related).. Of course I don't think there's a way to use the wifi lights if you use the ath5k module (the svn ath_pci + hal stuff that works with the AR5006 adds sysctrl values to control this, the ath5k currently doesn't provide that)

I'm waiting for 2.1 to come out and then see what I can do to help out the project. Right now I'm learning how to do debian packages the right way (which is interesting in a sense.) Looking forward to an ubuntu based system with XFCE that doesn't do what XUbuntu does.

soleblaze, Nov 14, 2008
  12. csmo

Funfood

Hello everybody!

Kuki-developer leak just told us in the chat, that developing is paused for a couple of days. He is in the middle of house-changing and so has other things in mind first.

Stay patient,

Heiko

Funfood, Nov 15, 2008
  13. csmo

axcairns

Moving house? It'll be more than a couple of days. No hurry.

axcairns, Nov 16, 2008
  14. csmo

Syco54645

It would be great to have you helping us!
    And the led lights that you mentioned. Is there a way to have it solid lit?

Syco54645, Nov 17, 2008
  15. csmo

soleblaze

I vaguely recall getting it to be solid lit with the ath_pci driver, but that was awhile ago. I've been using ath5k for now. I'll install the kuki alpha 2.0 and mess with it.

soleblaze, Nov 17, 2008
  16. csmo

Syco54645

Feel free to stop by the chat on irc.freenode.org at #kukiLinux. Not sure if you have stopped by before.

Syco54645, Nov 18, 2008
  17. csmo

soleblaze

I stopped by for a few hours last saturday, when it was really dead. I haven't been on irc for awhile, since my laptop is in flux. (The aspire one is pretty much my only machine now, not counting my server.. Although I do have an eeepc 701 that's still setup with gentoo that I can probably use to get on irc while working on the aspire one) I'll try and stop by tonight.

soleblaze, Nov 18, 2008
  18. csmo

hardran3

Try ALSA 1.0.18a with "model=acer-aspire" in your alsa-base file. Mic, headphone detect, and sound after resume all work!

With my current 2.6.27.6 custom kernel, Alsa 1.0.18a, and a few other tweaks from the wiki, my 8GB AAO is now perfect. All hardware works correctly, bootchart shows 14 seconds to boot, and with a stopwatch it takes 24 seconds to load from the grub menu to a fully loaded desktop. At idle, with wireless and minimum brightness, powertop shows 8.2 watts power usage. I am very happy with my little laptop.

hardran3, Nov 19, 2008
  19. csmo

Jaycb

Hardran,
    Any chance of an image please?

Jaycb, Nov 19, 2008
  20. csmo

SlCKB0Y

Which custom kernel are you using?

SlCKB0Y, Nov 19, 2008