Kuki Linux 2.8

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sammy, Aug 30, 2009.

1. sammy

SlCKB0Y

Pffttt. Have you tried any of the tweaks?

besides, that is a hardware/bios issue you noob, and nothing to do with Kuki.

SlCKB0Y, Sep 23, 2009
  2. sammy

lotus49

If it's a hardware/bios issue why do both card readers work as they should on Linpus? I know that the problems with card readers are not Kuki specific but nor is it correct to suggest that there is some insuperable problem for Linux.

I have tried Kuki 2.8 and on my machine it does not recognise a 16GB SDHC card inserted into the right hand card reader after boot time. If I put the same card into a USB SDHC card reader it works fine.

I am not complaining (perhaps your uncalled for "noob" remark was due to the earlier poster's slightly negative tone) but I don't think it is unreasonable for users to point out that for some people at least, Kuki (and, it has to be said, most Ubuntu based distros) is still not fully functional out of the box.

lotus49, Sep 28, 2009
  3. sammy

RockDoctor

It's a hardware/bios issue. The reason both card readers work completely in Linpus is that Linpus used a special kernel module that only works with kernels of that vintage (2.6.18 or so, IIRC). That module was not accepted for inclusion in the kernel, and does not work with newer kernels. It's not like the tweak is difficult, and I'm not sure if newer Ubuntu kernels even need it. However, if you want the right card reader to work with your SDHC card out of the box with no tweaking, you could always try Fedora 11.

RockDoctor, Sep 28, 2009
  4. sammy

armitage shanks

I have been using Kuki for a few weeks - both readers work (only tested with a 2gig sdcard) without any tweaks. Do get the odd period where ssd runs in background and all stops for a minute but that is about the only frustration. Sound is a little quiet compared to UNR and Linpus but I can live with that. Also the LED works when the wireless is recieving or sending. Overall boot time about thirty seconds so pretty pleasing. Also downloaded unstable version of google chrome and installed - works without fault so no need for bloated firefox. I am really impressed with this distro (and I have tried several). :D

armitage shanks, Oct 3, 2009
  5. sammy

MigGroningen

I've been using Kuki now for several weeks and I'm very pleased with it. The 2.8 release is stable and friendly to people who don't have a lot of experience with Linux. A few days ago a screen popped up offering me all kinds of updates. It looked like it was a list of updates for Ubuntu, so I hesitated for a moment but thought 'what the hell' and told my AAO to update all. I was a bit anxious, because my Linpus had some problems with automatic updates (amongst others the wifi keychain was broken). But no problems with Kuki.

My battery life is better, too, with Kuki. So I recommend Kuki to everyone with an AAO!

MigGroningen, Oct 3, 2009
  6. sammy

segual

Just wanted to cast my vote in favour of the latest Kuki as well. Having most recently tried crunchbang and not enjoying that I've gotta say that Kuki is superb. Worked pretty much out of the box for me except fan control not loading at startup (and the parameters not being to my liking) but was able to fix that thanks to their forum: http://kuki.me/oldforum/topic.php?id=253 - you need to read all the way to the last post though.

Everything I've wanted to install works once the right packages are there, and as others have noted battery life is a little better. The style is good too, makes my One feel a lot classier than it did with creaky old Linpus :)

Horrah for having something I can finally settle with.

segual, Oct 7, 2009
  7. sammy

Pierre

Another (kinda) happy Kuki user here. Just installed it today, along with the new Kernel. Runs very smooth, quick to boot, friendly on the battery! I have the slowest, cheapest AA1 model (8GB SSD, 512mb RAM, not able to upgrade it due to stubborn screw) and it fits the system nicely.

Only issue is with the hot keys, especially the volume up/down and mute ones... I'd REALLY like to get these working, I've tried a few things but to no avail :( Details here: http://www.kuki.me/forum/index.php/topic,129.0.html

If anyone has any ideas or is encountering the same issues, good luck... I really can't figure this one out :s

EDIT: nevermind... clean install, everything worked. I just manually created a shortcut for the Raise Volume hotkey and it worked like a charm.

Kuki seems faster than Linpus, has similar battery life and all functions work (except the left handed card reader isn't a memory extension, just a SD card). Fantastic!

Pierre, Nov 9, 2009
Ask a Question