Kuki Linux: ubuntu tailored for the AAO

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Zorofroozo, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Zorofroozo

dogbite

I'm looking forward to the Kuki release. I'm not a fan of the UNR interface and have just been running plain ubuntu with Sickboy's kernel. Which has been quite nice for my purposes. I'm loading Jaunty on my home PC right now but am holding off on the AAO for more info on problems.

dogbite, Apr 23, 2009
  2. Zorofroozo

tonecas

Kuki.me is down
    can't acess it :(

tonecas, Apr 27, 2009
  3. Zorofroozo

superpp

works for me, but has been updated.

1.7 is out

superpp, Apr 27, 2009
  4. Zorofroozo

Zorofroozo

i'm still using kuki

and i'm still very happy with it. Support is great, and before big changes are made, the community is heard :) This is how linux should be.

Zorofroozo, Jun 14, 2009
  5. Zorofroozo

lotus49

I have tried the latest kuki kernel and while the LH card reader worked fine (including suspend/resume), the RH card reader didn't really work at all. The card reader didn't do anything at all unless a card was present at boot time. However, even then copying large amounts of data always resulted in the relevant process hanging and I was then unable to shutdown without doing a hard reboot (ie holding down the power button).

BTW If they don't know the cause of the 3G modem problem, I do. The following needs to be set in the kernel config file
    CONFIG_USB_ACM=m

lotus49, Jun 22, 2009
  6. Zorofroozo

sgtslwilson

The hard reboot bug is only present on the Hdd models. The solution is to press Alt+f8 when you see the flashing cursor. It will then shut down normally

sgtslwilson, Jun 25, 2009
  7. Zorofroozo

lotus49

Except I have an SSD model so this clearly is not the case. When this has happened it has also resulted in serious damage to the contents of my SDHC card, this could be the result of the hard reboot but I am not willing to try it again. I think I have to accept that the Ubuntu kernel does not properly support the AAO hardware and possibly never will. The only thing that doesn't work is the RH card reader and I can live with that, but it is annoying as I bought a second SDHC card to backup the contents of the first and I can only use it with a USB SDHC card reader.

Ah well, it's a risk I knowingly took being an early adopter of the AAO but I still wish that Acer had had the sense to do a deal with Canonical (like Dell did) rather than Linpus - what were they thinking of?

lotus49, Jun 26, 2009
  8. Zorofroozo

mzc

Linpus is Acer... Acer invests to Linpus via the Acer IP fund together with Mitac. Acer does not really care if they have good linux support or not... as long as they sell the god damn AAO's on target. The microsoft support looks more like a symbiotic relationship and like before linux users have to look for support themselves :(

mzc, Jun 28, 2009
  9. Zorofroozo

Madrr

I have the AAO 531h model and have tried several Linux distros (Easy Peasy, Mint Gloria, Moblin), encountering problems in all. I finally got to Kuki 3.0, pre-release 1.7, and am very happy to know that sound and wifi (with some tweaking) work, and battery life is quite stable (@ 2h15min for 3-cell battery). I have not tried the card readers though, but that's cos I will seldom be using them. The time taken to get to login screen is quite fast too!

Problems I had initially:
    1) volume isn't very loud
    2) wireless toggle doesn't light up (but it works)
    3) Have to use Ctrl+ Alt + F8 to shutdown properly>> not really a problem though.
    4) Had to use "sudo date MMDDhhmm" to change the time.

These aside, I'm happily running my netbook now, thanks to the Kuki team for the great effort!

Madrr, Jul 2, 2009
  10. Zorofroozo

stanfish

I have Ubuntu 8.10 kernel 2.6.28sickboy-kuki on one partition and Kuki 3.0 Pre Release 1.7 on another partition of my AAO. I cannot figure out how to mount and access the other partition's files from either sickboy-kuki into kuki pre release ...or vice versa.
    Anyone give me a clue as to how this can be done?
    Thanks

stanfish, Aug 29, 2009
  11. Zorofroozo

itres

Find the partition you want to access (via fdisk or gparted, the one that is not mounted is the one you want), then you can mount the partition:

sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mnt

X is the partition number, verify that /mnt is empty (If I am not mistaken it is not used in ubuntu)

Gr,

itres, Aug 29, 2009
  12. Zorofroozo

stanfish

Thanks,
    Is there a way to put the partition on the desktop as an icon, then be able to r-click to mount it?
    SJF

stanfish, Aug 30, 2009
  13. Zorofroozo

itres

I am not sure about how to achieve this, You might want to try upgating the /etc/fstab with a new entry or that partition and after rebooting see if the filemanager is picking it up.

Gr,

itres, Aug 30, 2009
  14. Zorofroozo

RockDoctor

You could create an executable script that would mount the partition if it's not mounted, or unmount if it's mounted, then create a .desktop file for the script and place the .desktop file on your desktop. Then you could just double-click the .desktop file's icon to mount/umount your partition. Probably not worth the effort.
    It's probably better to set up an entry for it in /etc/fstab. The entry should look something like this:
    Code:
    /dev/sda5	/mnt/Intrepid	ext3	defaults 0 0
    where:
    /dev/sda5 is the partition to be mounted
    /mnt/Intrepid is the mount point for the partition
    ext3 is the filesystem type
    note - that's a pair of zeros above, not uppercase O's.

RockDoctor, Aug 30, 2009
Ask a Question