Kuki?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Jaycb, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Jaycb

Jaycb

Does anyone know how Kuki progress is going please? I read a couple of weeks ago that a third release was imminent - any news/views?

Jaycb, Feb 10, 2009
  2. Jaycb

rubberglove

rubberglove, Feb 10, 2009
  3. Jaycb

bd4e

Hello !

Kuki 3.0 RC 1 has been released yesterday, read more on their IRC channel.
    I have installed it and while i needed to apply a little fix to decrease long boot time, otherwise everything functions very well.
    I am especially pleased with graphics performance - i get some 690 FPS in glxgears vs 150 in linpus or 110 in easy peasy.

As for boot time it takes about 18-20 seconds to get to login screen from grum and additional 2.5 seconds to full desktop
    So to conclude, I am pleased with the direction kuki is developing to.

bd4e, Feb 13, 2009
  4. Jaycb

Nudnik_de

I also installed Kuki 3 RC1 yesterday. I'm pretty disapointed about it. Here are some issues I have:

Kuki3 RC1 comes with Openbox as Windowmanager, but I expected to get XFCE as this is promoted everywhere. (Alpha 2 also had OpenBox when I tried to install it allthough Kuki homepage says it comes with XFCE)

The system doesn't run OOTB. You have to run a configuration script and to edit a file to get a reasonable boot time. Wifi is not working after that. You have to install Sickboy Kernel manually.

Tried to install XFCE4 but this endet up with a weird mix of XFCE, Openbox and LXDE elements. Haven't continued at that stage, so there might be room for improvement...

I haven't done any performance measurements with it, first I need to configure it properly. But for me this is the main issue. Kuki was promoted as a Distro tailormade for the One. At this stage it's miles away from this goal.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not mourning, these guys made great job. Many thanks to Sickboy as I was using his Kernel in the past on my Xubuntu install and I really like it. I think the expectations for Kuki are very high for a lot of possible users. When they see that their expectations are not fullfilled they might be disapointed and turn their back to project...

I wil see where I will end up the next days with my installation. Actually I see more work in front of me to configure it properly than installing a plain Xubuntu, installing Sickboy Kernel and tweak it according to the Ubuntu Help Forum.

If anybody could tell me I made s.th. completely wrong during the installation I would be pleased to here that.

Nudnik_de, Feb 13, 2009
Ask a Question