LAN file transfer (win XP)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Aram, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Aram

Aram

This is a bit of an odd problem, and I'm hoping someone out there has had the same issue and can recomend a quick solution to this problem, which is as follows.

Whenever I try to copy or communicate via my LAN connection, I need to keep my cursor moving on my new AAO150(xp).
    If I stop, the estimated time on a file transfer goes up and up until it gives up calculating and just removes the number of minutes remaining, aka the filetransfer stalls completely. As soon as I start moving my mouse cursor again, wether just drawing circles on the screen or moving a window around, the transfer picks up again. Stop the cursor again, same problem.
    I have tested sharing a folder on the AAO150 and copying to that folder from another computer, the symptoms are the same.

I have checked Device manager for my NIC and 'Auto Disable PCIe (PowerSaving)' is Disabled. I have also tried removing the tick for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
    (yes, it is running on AC, not battery.)

Running automated tasks on the computer works just fine, so it seems to be isolated to transfers via the Realtek RTL8103E NIC... I admit that I updated the driver via Windows Update, could that have caused the problem?

I am going to try the following options in the order listed, unless someone knows whats up:

1. Install the newest driver for the Realtek NIC from Acer's website.
    2. Rollback the driver to the original somehow, if thats possible.
    3. Disable ALL powersaving features - ALL of them, since none seem to be specific for the NIC except the allready tested options in Device Manager.
    4. BIOS update
    5. Return product to Store :(

Aram, Feb 6, 2009
  2. Aram

Aram

Turns out I only had to do step one. Uninstalling the microsoft driver and installing the newest driver from Acer.com fixed the problem.
    Lesson learned, dont use drivers from windows update :/

Aram, Feb 6, 2009
  3. Aram

Aram

Seems the fix only lasts untill a restart.. currently working on a solution other than reinstalling the LAN driver every time I reboot :(

The really stupid thing is, its only when copying from or to a LAN shared file. The coputer is connected to the internet via the same LAN and downloading the driver from the Acer webpage was no problem at all.. I am puzzled.

Aram, Feb 10, 2009
  4. Aram

Aram

Tried installing the original drivers, same thing again.

Aram, Feb 10, 2009
  5. Aram

Aram

Updating the bios did the trick. It seems that any bios version from 3304 and beyond will fix this issue. I can only assume that the vanila version of the bios had some mistake in the powersaving features shutting down the LAN controller along with some other feature.

Aram, Feb 18, 2009
Ask a Question