Lapjack (Skin) for AA1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Starfleet Odie, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Starfleet Odie

Starfleet Odie

Just got my skin from LapJacks custom made :D , and it looks great, it is perfect, don't feel like a geek using it (Netbook). Work mates couldn't believe how much of a difference it makes it. Now a "lads" machine. (Or girly depending on your skin!!). Not worried about taking it out and using it in coffee shops or on the train as the original shell is too shiny, and is not a good look, once the scratches start, now feels like it has proper “Gadget Status”. Now when I get my Netbook out in meetings I get the “wow” factor as every one else is lugging around their 17” laptops all scratched and heavy. Good to know in a couple months if I mess up my skin I can just change the skin and my AA1 looks like new again. Also due to size of the AA1 wasn’t too much of a hardship to put on, just a few minutes, I can understand if I had a 17” why people wouldn’t bother, but I had no issues with bubbles, and it’s a nice thickness. Just checked and the AA1 is not on their Acer select list, but I am sure that is only a mater of time. LapJack
    Could we start this as a custom skin thread and post a picture of your skin or case design mods, be nice to see how we AA1 owners are slowly gaining credibility and coolness! Size I requested edge top and bottom 6" or 15.1cm and lenth 9" 6/8 or 24.8cm

[​IMG]

Starfleet Odie, Sep 17, 2008
  2. Starfleet Odie

maciek

awesome, do you have experience if it comes off easily if you want to change it to something else? I mean with such a shiny surface like aa1 will this leave any marks on it?

maciek, Sep 17, 2008
  3. Starfleet Odie

melhiore

I'm also interested. This "skin" looks great :) How did you ordered this - did they cut/prepare sticker for requested custom size or for just for any AA1??

melhiore, Sep 17, 2008
  4. Starfleet Odie

maciek

they actually already have aspire one on their list. I think I'll go for this one:
    [​IMG]

I would want to put transformers logo in the middle but paying 200% just to customize it is pointless imo.

maciek, Sep 17, 2008
  5. Starfleet Odie

melhiore

Really nice paintball style. Love this game but recently I'm to fat to play... But I'm working on it :)

melhiore, Sep 17, 2008
  6. Starfleet Odie

Starfleet Odie

I sent them a email this morning and they have added it to the Acer list already as stated by maciek. It comes in precut on a sheet. Can be unstuck and stuck a couple of times just in case of bubbles. No glue issues. Just found this news piece.

NEWS: 21 May 2007 10:51 GMT by Amy-Mae Elliott
    Toshiba has launched its LapJacks service which allows all laptop owners to brighten up their portable poopa with a vinyl cover or design an entirely original, customised cover. In conjunction with Kesa Design, the website (link at the bottom) allows you to choose from thousands of high quality images from a wide range of categories, including animal images, sporting photos, film and music imagery and more arty graphics-type pictures. If you can’t find something you like from the selection online then you can upload your own digi photographs or even create an original design and submit it for production. The designs are then printed onto a high quality adhesive vinyl cover that is engineered to it the exact dimensions of your laptop so although Toshiba is behind this new venture, the products can be produced to fit any laptop make or model. From a sensible point of view, LapJacks claim to be an effective way giving some protection for your notebook from scratching and cosmetic damage. The material sticks firmly to the laptop cover, but can also be removed cleanly, and easily reused if required.

Starfleet Odie, Sep 17, 2008
  7. Starfleet Odie

Starfleet Odie

I am starting to think I am the only one who has a custom skin or design on AA1...... some please post if they have one, starting to think I am not normal(ish). :lol:

Starfleet Odie, Sep 20, 2008
  8. Starfleet Odie

melhiore

Oh YES you are absolutely normal... I'm still looking for something fancy for me...

melhiore, Sep 20, 2008
  9. Starfleet Odie

soleblaze

When you did a custom image, what size did you send in and in what format?

soleblaze, Sep 23, 2008
  10. Starfleet Odie

Starfleet Odie

Hi ya I sent a JPG 1920x1080 72dpi size of file 768kb(ish) :oops:

To be honest first time ever ordering a skin, so my I think my file was a bit to small with to much WxH and not enough DPI to cover it. So came out a little darker, "moody". Its always a little hard to work out, but still million times better then scatched Shiny Blue. Had a play in my art package and it told me the size was 26".97 X 15" if converted in to inches. So sure I might get corrected but I think the DPI could have been a lot better (I should have looked harder in google for a better picture!)

Reading Lapjacks Q&A found "Ideally your picture should be a file in landscape format - 45cm x 30cm @ 200dpi, that's approximately 25mb. At the absolute minimum we would recommend a file with 2000 pixels along the horizontal, but this should ideally be 3600 pixels. Feel free to email us if you have something you are unsure about"

But taking into the size of a AA1 is a lot smaller then a normal laptop, but no worries already looking for next one, not sure If I will be able to take it into work if I decide to go with a picture of Gemma Atkinson ;) ? Think I will have to stick with another Xbox spin off!

Acer Aspire One A150-Ab Netbook, Windows XP, 1GB, 120GB HD (Sapphire Blue) (not brave enough to upgrade to 1.5GB yet)

Starfleet Odie, Sep 23, 2008
  11. Starfleet Odie

donec

I don't have my skin yet because I haven't designed it but once I get it designed I will be printing my own on a blank clear skin that I got from Office Max. They are an Office Max product but I have only found one store that carries them in a package of 3 for about $20. I also have not found them online. They use no glue and can be moved from one computer to another.

donec, Sep 23, 2008
  12. Starfleet Odie

jumphog

Looks interesting - saw it on the front page and was wondering a couple of things, could anyone whos got one already answer:

Whats the texture of it like?
    How well does it stick down around the edges, it seems like it would peel off quite easily?

Thanks.

jumphog, Oct 5, 2008
  13. Starfleet Odie

MattyVigilante

MattyVigilante, Oct 9, 2008
  14. Starfleet Odie

Fallenrider

Mine just arrived today (a graffiti city scape) and while the image is great it hasn't been resized to the smaller scale of the Aspire One.
    So the edges and top of the image have been cropped.

Might be something to bear in mind when ordering.

Fallenrider, Oct 10, 2008
  15. Starfleet Odie

Tomsk

Just got mine as well.

The image size is approx 260mm x 165mm.
    It is cut to approx 244mm x 150mm to fit the Aspire.
    The final aspect ratio is ~ 1.63:1

If you intend of having a custom image, bear in mind the above measurements and aspect ratio. Add a plain border around your image if you don't want it cropped.

Tomsk, Oct 10, 2008
  16. Starfleet Odie

Fallenrider

Just to show you guys what I mean about the image being cropped:

What the skin looks like:
    [​IMG]

How the cropping cuts out part of the design:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Certainly not what I was expecting.

So as Tomsk says it's a good idea to be aware of this when ordering your design or sending them a custom one to use.
    Personally I'm going to be requesting a refund.

Fallenrider, Oct 11, 2008
Ask a Question