laptop for travel

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Travelater, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Travelater

Travelater

Hi
    I am buying a laptop for travel. I will more likely be backpacking style than luxury so I need something lightweight, small but very sturdy.
    Obviously, I don’t want to spend a lot of money in case it goes missing/stolen. . I am not interested in Dell brand due to having lots of problems and issues with customer services.
    I do want to be able to run Adobe Elements 11, iTunes, Chrome and MS Office. I am intending to take photographs and would like the facilities to watch DVD’s. so it needs a USB and a DVD player. Of course I will be using Skype too. The min requirements for this software are 1.6 Processor (Intel) 2 gb RAM, min 8gb HD and DirectX10 graphics card.
    When at home I would like to connected to a larger monitor or TV.
    Also what is better? MS Office or MS Office 365? I have been advised to get cloud (although that seems standard).
    Any recommendations or what or just where to buy (in the UK) would be appreciated.

Travelater, Aug 7, 2013
  2. Travelater

Brian8gbSSDLinux

You asked - Also what is better? MS Office or MS Office 365?

If you can get a copy of Office 2003... THAT was the BEST version.

Office 2013 is VERY EXPENSIVE as a one-off payment £100 (in UK) to download from MS - the cheapest way of buying it.

While you can only RENT Office 365 - you are required to pay annually for that version... currently around £85 per year in UK.

My preference is one of the FREE Office versions such as Open Office or Libre Office if you need a FULL Office Version

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Sep 25, 2013
Ask a Question