Laptop help!

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by kelly324, Jun 18, 2024.

1. kelly324

kelly324

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for a laptop primarily for writing (using Microsoft Word and Google) and that’s also lightweight enough for travelling.

I’m interested in a 14” screen but I don’t want a 2-in-1 (particularly where the screen lies flat) or a touchscreen, as I’ve tried those before and didn’t like them. I’m also not considering Chromebooks for the sake of having more flexibility.

Currently, I’m torn between these two options:

1. Dell Inspiron 14 (Intel Core i5, 16GB RAM, 1TB storage, £549)
    2. ACER Aspire 5 (Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, £599)

The Dell is £50 cheaper and seems to have better specs, but I’m unsure which is the better choice overall.

Which would you recommend? Are there any other 14” laptops around this price point that you would suggest?

Thank you!

kelly324, Jun 18, 2024
  2. kelly324

Invictus

Hi, Kelly!

From those two laptops, since you are going to use it primarily for writing, choose the one with better screen and keyboard (check reviews on YouTube and websites). Run away from laptops with TN panels!

About the RAM memory, 8GB are the bare minimum for today. You will have to upgrade sooner than later.

Check the Asus ZenBook 14 with 12th gen Intel CPU. It has gorgeous OLED display, decent keyboard and numpad integrated in the touchpad.

Have a nice day!

Invictus, Jun 20, 2024
  3. kelly324

jekexp

Between the Dell Inspiron 14 and the Acer Aspire 5, I would recommend the Dell Inspiron 14 for your needs. It offers better specs with 16GB of RAM and 1TB of storage, which is particularly beneficial for multitasking and ample storage for documents, making it a better value for the price. The Dell is also £50 cheaper, which adds to its appeal. Additionally, Dell has a strong reputation for reliability and customer support. For writing and lightweight travel, the Dell Inspiron 14 stands out as the superior choice.

jekexp, Jun 25, 2024
Ask a Question