Laptop speeds

Discussion in 'Networking' started by crna1ab, Oct 30, 2016.

1. crna1ab

crna1ab

Hi,
    I have a toshiba C55-a and just had installed AT&T giga power internet! The best speeds I get is 20-30 Mbps wifi and wired 70-80 Mbps.
    My iPhone 5s at best 60mbps and some times as little as .5 yes point 5....any ideas, I've had at&t out 3 times? They tell me it's my equipment. If so how can I upgrade my laptop to get a higher speeds very confused?
    These are download speeds!

crna1ab, Oct 30, 2016
  2. crna1ab

elPaulio Moderator

It sounds to me as if your router is the bottleneck here.
    I would look at a newer router, and possibly as AT&T what they recommend to get the advertised speeds.

You then need to look at your Wireless card to see what it's max speed is. You want to ensure it is a -N wireless standard.

As a note though, you will always (generally) get a faster speed with a wired connection then wireless and to get anywhere near advertised speeds you must be running the suppliers speed test with nothing else on the network or using data on the machine doing the test. Take it all with a pinch of salt.

Paul

elPaulio, Oct 31, 2016
  3. crna1ab

crna1ab

Thank you, the router is provided by AT&T... should I continue to call them out.,they have replaced it 3 times? Also could you tell me how to check wireless card and can I upgrade it if necessary.
    thanks

crna1ab, Oct 31, 2016
Ask a Question