limpus or unbunto

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by woody234, Aug 29, 2008.

1. woody234

woody234

ive read that the limpus version is not the best for beginners and has loads of restrictions and federo or unbuto is much easier to use, is this true

woody234, Aug 29, 2008
  2. woody234

dinkydarko

I would actually say the opposite. the limpus is designed to be very easy for a complete linux (or computer) beginner.
    Unfortunately, it is not easily customisable (one of the good points about linux).
    With the help of these forums limpus lets u learn more about how linux works and you might find that once u have learned enough and customised it you may like it. If not you'll have learned enough to decided for youself.
    I think limpus is enough for a netbook and i'm not planning to go with ubuntu (which i have on my desktop)

dinkydarko, Aug 29, 2008
  3. woody234

zaphod

I agree. Linpus is good for beginners (like me). I also use Ubuntu on a desktop and I have tried Xubuntu on the AA1 by booting off a USB key. For the time being though I find Linpus, with a few minor mods, fits all my needs and it boots really quickly.

zaphod, Aug 29, 2008
  4. woody234

rbil

I know it can be silly at times criticizing someone's spelling, but you're the first I've come across who has managed to mention 3 different Linux distros in one "sentence" and managed to spell all three incorrectly. :roll:

Cheers.

rbil, Aug 30, 2008
  5. woody234

violajack

Agreed that criticizing spelling can be silly at times. However, there are some cases where correction can be really beneficial. For example - a search for "limpus", "federo", or "unbunto" is not likely to yield many results, whereas a search for "linpus", "fedora", or "ubuntu" will yield many more useful results.

For the record, I run Ubuntu on most of my other systems, but have stuck with the default Linpus on the One. I find that between Fn + F2 to run commands and creating a terminal shortcut in the work menu, I can get to everything I need.

violajack, Aug 30, 2008
  6. woody234

rachel

after seeing mine, my mum decided she wanted an AA1 to replace her Mac Mini (she was fed up of cables and didn't have space for a desk).

For my own system I have Ubuntu with Netbook Remix, though I'd set up a dual-boot with Linpus for demonstration purposes. I decided after a little playing around that it was best in her case to leave it with Linpus - things like Suspend/Resume working more reliably for a start... :) She only really does mail and some web browsing, so the Mac was stupendously overpowered for her needs, but the AA1 is perfect.

She bought it from Dixons in Bristol Cribbs Causeway on August 28. I think on reflection we got landed with one that had been a return: It didn't ask for locale or password on startup, and the bash history was full of someone fiddling about with the distribution.

And the sleeve was missing.

Odd as the hardware itself seems to be fine, no problems. It does have the Intel SSD rather than the Samsung one, which makes me wonder if it was bought by some geek (probably someone here!) and when they found that, they didn't want it. I wouldn't either but it's OK for my mum's purposes. She'll get my sleeve as I intend to get a 6-cell battery for mine at some point anyway.

So we kept it. I just did a fresh install of Linpus, ran the updates, added Firefox 3 and acerfand and that's that.

rachel, Aug 30, 2008
  7. woody234

burntbit

I bought a display system from Circu*t C*ty and even with a pretty much untouched system all the customization in the bash history is there under root. I looked through the bash history and to me it seems very plain that it was done by the Acer company themselves. Now I don't know if it's just for the display model, or if the latest systems they update by hand, or if all of them get the touch ups done. I just know it was Acer specific stuff in the bash history.

The passwords don't get asked for. I'm looking to change that.

burntbit, Sep 3, 2008
  8. woody234

Tavel

I would argue the opposite once again. Linpus is one of those things that's too easy. It's so easy for beginners that's its actually more difficult to use by everyone else. I guess it's kind of like getting a CD player with only a "play" button. Sure, it's sleek and easy to use...but after a while you're going to really wish you had more buttons. haha

Tavel, Sep 3, 2008
  9. woody234

burntbit

After thouroughly using Linpus and Ubuntu on the AA1. I have found Ubuntu a suitable OS... The cons of Ubuntu are the need to configure the network every update, and it has the same audio issue's (like not recording multiple tracks in audacity). It seems to be hardware designed... so I won't blame the OS.

Acer's Linpus is configured well for the hardware. The 3D support in it is great... couldn't handle it in Ubuntu (even though I tried various settings and drivers).

I would recommend for anyone and everyone to keep the Linpus version. IT handles media far better then anything else I've seen on this laptop. For pros, you can assume more control then it gives... easy enough. For newbies... you'll feel right at home.

burntbit, Jan 29, 2009
Ask a Question