Linpus developers .bash_history

Discussion in 'Linux' started by MrNystrom, Sep 12, 2008.

1. MrNystrom

MrNystrom

Hello!

After restoring my Aspire One (f*cked it up by messing with my /etc/fstab) I found that the /root/.bash_history had not been cleared by the developers.

Apparently they tried to remove it, but they did not succeed... Contains some interesting stuff...

Anyways, my question to everyone is:

Is this just the restore image that looks like this or do you people that has not restored the unit the same "problem" ?

See my blog for more details -> http://www.icmpecho.com/2008/09/12/aspire-one-linpus-shipped-with-developers-bash_history/

And also,

Do someone have the official security contact at Acer? All adresses I've found on their site that applies to me seem to bounce, and the only one at the Linpus ([email protected]) site does not seem to be generating any responses (no one's reading the mail)...

Thanks,

Daniel

MrNystrom, Sep 12, 2008
  2. MrNystrom

macles

macles, Sep 12, 2008
  3. MrNystrom

MrNystrom

No, no mention of Wang in the history file.

Were there login credentials and IP-numbers in these .bash_history's as well?

//Daniel

MrNystrom, Sep 12, 2008
  4. MrNystrom

philippeC

I've got the same on my non-restored system.

No clear text password, luckily!

philippeC, Sep 12, 2008
  5. MrNystrom

rachel

Looks like I got this in a machine I bought for my mother. A bash history full of what looks like development work on the distribution.

Other signs made me think I might have been sold a returned unit by Dixons - like a missing sleeve. But as the machine was otherwise fine I just nuked it with a fresh image (from the CD that came from my own AA1 - empty bash history on the restored system) and carried on.

One other difference: Hers had the intel SSD, mine had the Samsung one. I wonder if there's a commonality there in the way the slightly different models got into the supply chain?

rachel, Sep 13, 2008
  6. MrNystrom

MrNystrom

Ok...

Well, I have "lftp" lines containing both usernames and passwords, like this:

lftp user:p[email protected]

It doesn't matter to me, but as I work in IT-security i react to "them" letting this kind of thing slip out... crazy ;)

Ah well... cheers and thanks for clarifying ;)

MrNystrom, Sep 15, 2008
  7. MrNystrom

LinpusHelpdesk

Hi AAOne friends

This is the Customer Services Representative from Linpus Technology. We actually acknowledge this issue.

Per R&D reply, the user's bash_history has empty but not the "root" user.

We would amend this issue and many thank of your support

Next time, please email to [email protected] for any issue. I will try my best to assist.

Once again, thank to Mark to organize this forum and other AAOne family members to have well support of Aspire One and Linpus Linux OS

Best Regards,

Customer Services Representative
    Linpus Technology, Inc

LinpusHelpdesk, Sep 17, 2008
Ask a Question