Linpus file manager problems

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Jack Vermicelli, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Jack Vermicelli

Jack Vermicelli

Last night, I was transferring episodes of a tv series from a usb hdd to my AA1's (standard xfce) desktop. I had transferred five or six ~350MB .avi files, when I was told that I had run out of space. I figured that only Home was shared between the expansion card and the SSD, so I tried to move the files to My Videos, to be given the same disk full message. I figured that apparently clicking and dragging a file on the same disk attempts to copy rather than cut/paste, for some reason. However, I had thought that my 8GB card in the expansion slot was there for just this scenario. Thunar showed that I had I think 7.6 GB free of 14ish, but switching to advanced view revealed that the only free space was on the card. I could open the card directly and place the files in the My Videos section myself and delete them from my desktop, and see them then in the united My Videos section of Home, but shouldn't the unification allow read *and* write?

-- Can I enable the expansion joining for writing as well as reads?
    -- Can I change click/drag default behavior to cut/paste ("move") rather than copy?
    -- Can I get the filesizes of the "My Whatever" folders of Home in Thunar's "detailed list" view (as opposed to icons only) to reflect the sum of their contents, and not just uselessly show the 4 kb or 32 kb of the folders themselves?

Much appreciated, should anyone be able to help me out.

Jack Vermicelli, Nov 28, 2008
  2. Jack Vermicelli

rbil

I'm not sure I'm understanding you, but for what it's worth ...

The SSD drive contains a Desktop directory in your home directory. The SD drive does not. Merging of the two drives only takes place with the duplicated directories on each drive. The Desktop directory is crucial to the userspace and hence is only contained on the SSD drive. When you dragged files to the Desktop, you filled up your SSD drive. Dragging them to directories like Documents should place them on your merged SD drive if there isn't the space to place them on the SSD drive.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 28, 2008
  3. Jack Vermicelli

Jack Vermicelli

That's what I thought should happen, but it didn't. Now, I get an input/output error (after 30 seconds of copying process) when trying to delete what I've watched of the files I had dragged to the card directly, through the desktop SD/MMC link, either trying to delete from the merged /Home/Videos or sudo thunar and then going to Removable:///disk/Videos. Can't delete with the card in the right reader, either. Should I suspect something screwy with the card itself? Or/also, since the write speed of the SSD is slow, to Trash in this case, how can I delete fer reals, rather than copy to the slow ssd and then delete from there?
    -edit- Now it looks like I'm having more problems with aufs. Sometimes it takes removing and reinserting the card to be able to see files in my Home subdirectories, and even then some subdirectories may appear empty, with a notice of failure to open the read-only filesystem.

Jack Vermicelli, Nov 28, 2008
  4. Jack Vermicelli

rbil

To delete a file, rather than send it to the Trash, hold down a Shift Key and then delete.

It's possible your filesystem on the SD card is corrupted in some way. If you have a Windows computer and a card reader you can try doing a scandisk on the card. I don't believe that Linpus comes with the tools to fsck a vfat partition. You'd have to install dosfstools to deal with it from Linpus. The SD drive has to be unmounted before you can run fsck on it. Use the "fdisk -l" command to get the device name for it.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 29, 2008
  5. Jack Vermicelli

Jack Vermicelli

Actually, I've tried checking the card in Windows, with my usb hub which also has a cardreader. However, as soon as the card is detected (the "ba-doop" sound), the four unused/blank/dormant/whatever drive designations that are part of the hub disappear, and the card is never assigned a letter, never appears. I'll try the rest of your ideas, but that seems to me to indicate a problem with the card.

*grumble*

Jack Vermicelli, Nov 29, 2008
Ask a Question