Linpus Lite advanced mode - how do you activate?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by miketurley, Aug 18, 2008.

1. miketurley

Guest Guest

Darryl-
    Thanks. This worked great.
    Now I'll get to wok on backgrounds.
    -s.

Guest, Oct 2, 2008
  2. miketurley

OfficeBoy

Hi

New kid on the block here hope you can help with a problem.

I followed the instructions and have got as far right clicking on desktop, getting the xfce menu and following system/add remove programs.

On clicking add remove programs I am given a invite to enter the password. This I do.. 3 times when it then invites me change the password..

After which nothing...

Any suggestions as to what needs to be done. I am trying to load VLC.

Many thanks
    Officeboy

OfficeBoy, Oct 11, 2008
  3. miketurley

Darryl

in terminal type:
    sudo su (enter)
    passwd (enter)
    then it will ask you for a new one. Type it in once then it will ask you to confirm, it will not show on screen

Darryl, Oct 12, 2008
  4. miketurley

OfficeBoy

Darryl

Thanks for that it worked!

Regards
    Officeboy

OfficeBoy, Oct 15, 2008
  5. miketurley

streety

Hi all,

Thanks for explaining how to enable the advanced desktop, but having trawled through all the forum I cannot find how to return to the standard desktop. Is this return option obvious to see once in advanced mode? The thing is, I don't want to enable the advanced mode without knowing beforehand how to undo it. I got this machine mainly for my elderly newbie mother to learn to surf & email and I don't want to confuse her by leaving it another mode after I've used it when the standard mode is hard enough for a computer ultra-novice like her.

streety, Dec 24, 2008
  6. miketurley

Grim Squeaker

The "advanced mode" spoken of here just lets a menu with more options pop up whenever you press the right mousebutton. It does not change anything else. Getting rid of the menu is trivial; just do the settings-show thing again and untick the box.

To get a truly "advanced mode", i.e. a normal desktop like windows and other linux distributions offer you need to follo other steps. So don't worry ;)

Grim Squeaker, Dec 24, 2008
  7. miketurley

streety

Thanks,
    Yes, I had the mistaken impression that advanced mode here was the same as advanced desktop spoken of elsewhere., but your answer cleared up my confusion and query. :)

streety, Dec 25, 2008
  8. miketurley

sean-michael

simply if you want the advanced view all you have to do is press ALT + F2 and type changedesktop.sh tick run in terminal all done :)

sean-michael, Jan 31, 2009
  9. miketurley

shadow111

sorry but i ve done all these u say guys but i cant do my aspire one have desktop look like winwows!!!right click on the default desktop with the 4 boxes works but can i have instructions on how my aspire one be winwows -like desktop?thanks

shadow111, Mar 22, 2009
  10. miketurley

barrie

barrie, Mar 24, 2009
  11. miketurley

Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker, Mar 24, 2009
  12. miketurley

Aspiration

If you want to have fewer problems with linux its a good bet that the less you install and change, the more compatible it will remain.
    I put an anti-virus on my mac (virus barrier x4) which will scan other computers on the network, except linux because its so hard to get linux to cooperate in that department. In the last 3 years I have had zero viruses on the mac but it did come in handy for scanning my win98 and removing viruses because you can no longer get up to date anti-virus programs for win98se.

Although linux is based on a more complicated and awkward OS, it still has the same basic Unix under-pinnings as the Mac does so it will be difficult to run into virus problems unless you do silly things like click on links in email. Even then, you'd probably just proliferate windows viruses and send them onto someone else rather than causing yourself issues. Besides, why bog down the OS to scan for Viruses? The only virus program I know of that doesn't hog all cpu resources in virus barrier because it only checks for viruses when files are created or changed, or when you tell it to scan everything.

Be assured. Viruses are not much of an issue with Unix based systems. Don't worry about it. You're not running windows... right?

Aspiration, Apr 20, 2009
  13. miketurley

shadow111

thanks my friend

shadow111, May 28, 2009
  14. miketurley

homeless

ahh! please help. i managed to convert my desktop to xfce but now i've lost all icons and left and right clicking yields no results anywhere. i've a machine with a pretty screen with no capabilities. thankfully i had firefox running. linux beginner. please help.

homeless, Jun 24, 2009
  15. miketurley

impulses

just converted mine :)

impulses, Aug 22, 2009
  16. miketurley

gurleenkaur

thank you for the helpo....:)

gurleenkaur, Oct 25, 2011
Ask a Question