Linpus on external SDHC card

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Obsidian, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Obsidian

Obsidian

Sorry if this has been asked, just point me to the right topic...

Is there any way to install the Acer Linpus Linux OS onto an external SDHC card? I tried installing the Acer Linpus from a recovery USB flash drive, but it didn't give me any options for drive destination or even partition options.

Thanks.

Obsidian, Aug 21, 2008
  2. Obsidian

lightpost

If I were to just throw a wild guess, I'd say a good attempt would be to boot into a separate live environment (such as Puppy Linux) and then use it to archive the contents of the internal SSD drive into your SDHC card (archiving is important, since you want to preserve permissions and stuff). Once done, then it would be a matter of modifying your /boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/fstab files to point to the right drive letter (or Volume Label if that works).

Then to make it actually work, you would have to either change the BIOS to boot off the SDHC slot first, or keep GRUB in the internal SSD so it can just redirect your boot to the SDHC installation.

You'll never suffer from a lack of options to pursue (on the contrary, I would say there are TOO many options to try), but everything comes down to how far you want to get your hands dirty and how much time you wish to devote learning to do this. :)

lightpost, Aug 21, 2008
  3. Obsidian

janss

But the One can't boot from SD-slot, so that's pretty much impossible.
    And grub can't point to load from drive not recognised by the BIOS, from wikipedia:

Basically that means, if the BIOS won't recognise the drive, there's no kernel images available, thus grub can't load them.

janss, Aug 22, 2008
  4. Obsidian

edgecrush3r

in that case.. Just get yourself an cheap USB cardreader.
    It should be possible to boot from SDHC once connected through the USB cardreader :roll:

edgecrush3r, Aug 22, 2008
Ask a Question