Linpus Restore Failed - Black Screen : Resolved

Discussion in 'Linux' started by AcmeUK, Feb 17, 2010.

1. AcmeUK

AcmeUK

Hi

I am having problems restoring Linpus on a 8Gb ZG5.

The machine originally had Linpus installed. Then someone put XP Pro on it!!!!

I have tried to restore from the Linpus disk.

I tried the USB stick method, it failed.

I tried restoring direct from the CD using a USB to IDE adapter. That got as far as loading the software from the CD then it 'fell over' with an unhelpful error message. I repeated this a few time with the same result. I tried both methods using a copy of the Restore disk, with the same results.

I then 'torrented' another copy of the Restore disk and tried again, again both ways failed on a number of attempts.

My next strategy was to Ghost an image from another working 8Gb ZG5 and restore it to my machine.

The restore seemed to go well; but when I booted, all I got was a black screen with a flashing cursor near the top.

As a last resort I wiped the disk with Partition Magic, then used Ghost to do a direct (via network) disk to disk copy from the working machine.
    (I don't recommend this, it took 40+ hours! Ghost only wanted to work at 1Mbit/min!!!!)

Again on boot I got the black screen with a flashing cursor.

If I examine the disk with Partition Magic all seems to be in order.

So what is the problem? I suspect that it may be something to do with the boot loader configuration.

Before I started this process I made a Ghost image of the XP installation. This I have restored without problem, so the hardware looks OK.

The System BIOS is V0.3304.

Any ideas? Any posts on the Forum covering this?

Thanks

BillP

AcmeUK, Feb 17, 2010
  2. AcmeUK

AcmeUK

Re: Linpus Restore Failed - Black Screen

Got you stumped? :D

I am sure that in the past I have read elsewhere about a similar problem on another Linux distro.

If I recall correctly the solution was an edit to the boot loader. However I cannot find that info now.

Look as though I will have to put XP back on it! :(

Thanks for looking

BillP

AcmeUK, Feb 21, 2010
  3. AcmeUK

Swarvey Moderator

Topic moved to Linux System Recovery. Should get you some more exposure to the Linux crowd.

Swarvey, Feb 22, 2010
  4. AcmeUK

AcmeUK

OPPS! Silly me :oops:

My thanks to Swarvey.

BillP

AcmeUK, Feb 22, 2010
  5. AcmeUK

AcmeUK

Still no ideas? :(

Here is the latest:-

I have tried to install Ubuntu 9.10 but the installation process 'bombs' when the partitioner starts up with the message 'Ubiquity.components.partman failed with exit code 141'

I have deleted all partitions, done fdisk /mbr, and all that I can think of. Still the Ubuntu installation fails with the partitioner error.

So I Ghosted the XP image back, NO PROBLEM!!! It runs fine. :?

So, remembering that this was a Linpus machine originally, what does XP do to the SSD that Linux does not like?

Thanks for your interest.

BillP

AcmeUK, Feb 24, 2010
  6. AcmeUK

RockDoctor

If you're looking at Ubuntu, you might want to try the latest daily build
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/
    I've found that with the daily builds, sometimes the installer works, sometimes it doesn't.

RockDoctor, Feb 24, 2010
  7. AcmeUK

AcmeUK

Hi Guys

Thanks to information from RockDoctor I have resolved my problem. :D

I have now been able to create a new USB Recovery Drive, using the Recovery CD, that works.

What was different? Simple, I was using a new, good quality USB drive. :!:

Previously I was using a generic 16GB flash drive. This time I used a SanDisk Cruzer 4Gb flash drive.

So it seems that I have been chasing my tail due to a cheap USB memory stick. :lol:

So, the moral of this tale is, Beware of Cheap USB Drives :!:

Thanks for looking at my problem, and a BIG THANKS to RockDoctor.

BillP

AcmeUK, Feb 25, 2010
  8. AcmeUK

ultrarunner

Bill, I have the same problem you experienced. I even went out and bought a new 4gb SanDisk Cruzer (before reading your post) thinking that a good quality memory stick might just solve the problem. It didn't. No change. I still cannot get a recovery USB made off that CDRom that came with the Aspire One (it's 2 years old). Every time I select the partition of San Disk Cruzer (as indicated on the Aspire screen from installation on the cdrom), I get an error code 39 and to report problem to [email protected], an email address which doesn't even exist anymore.

ultrarunner, Nov 6, 2010
  9. AcmeUK

AcmeUK

Hi ultrarunner

Sorry to hear of your problems. Are you located in the UK? If so I may be able to help you with a copy of my restore CD.

Regards

Bill

AcmeUK, Nov 7, 2010
Ask a Question