linpus takes over 2 minutes to boot

Discussion in 'Linux' started by azilaka, Oct 6, 2009.

1. azilaka

azilaka

Hi, I'm quite new to linux, and this forum!

I have a relatively new acer one. I bought it about 2 months ago. When I first got it, it took a long time to boot, over 2 minutes, at least, but I thought that was because it was new or something. Now, two months on, its extremely frustrating having to wait. It stays on that blue acer screen. I have tried googling the problem, but it seems like this is a problem faced by windows users, not linux. Please help :? .

azilaka, Oct 6, 2009
  2. azilaka

JimK

Since it appears you haven't done anything to cause the problem, it sounds like you got a bad netbook. Linpus on the One usually boots in well under 30 seconds. The easiest thing to do would be to return it to the store for an exchange, but since it's been more than 30 days they may not allow you to do that. You may have to contact Acer to see about having it serviced or replaced (should still be under warranty). But first try removing everything (SD cards, USB devices, external monitor, ethernet etc.) before you boot and see if anything foreign is causing the long boot time.

JimK, Oct 6, 2009
  3. azilaka

schmadde

Linpus on my Aspire One A110l with all current updates installed boots in exactly 13 Seconds until you get a usable Desktop. BIOS Initialization takes another 8 seconds and for a Wifi Connections you also need to wait a few extra seconds.

If yours takes 2 Minutes, something is wrong. What AAO model do you have? Do you have any 3rd party applications (or hardware) installed? Have you tried a clean install?

schmadde, Oct 6, 2009
  4. azilaka

azilaka

Thanks for the feedback. These are the details that came with the netbook:

Acer Aspire One A150-Ab Netbook, Linpus Linux Lite version, 512MB DDR2 RAM, 120GB HD

I really hope I didn't get a 'bad' netbook. I'm contacting the supplier, and hopefully he can help. But as you mentioned its been over 30 days so I'm a bit worried.

azilaka, Oct 8, 2009
  5. azilaka

schmadde

Boot time with hard disk will be much slower than with ssd. But not two minutes. Maybe you had an unclean shutdown and this is the filesystem check? You might want to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst (or is ist grub.conf in linpus?) and remove the "quiet" and "splash" options so you can see what's going on. If nothing helps reinstalling may be the easiest option.

schmadde, Oct 9, 2009
  6. azilaka

azilaka

Thanks so much for all your messages. This is what my grub.conf looks like. Is that what it should look like? My supplier told me to reinstall as well.

Code:
    default=0
    timeout=0
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    hiddenmenu

title Linpus Linux RCD
    	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    	kernel /boot/bzImage ro root=LABEL=linpus vga=0x311 splash=silent loglevel=1 console=tty1 quiet nolapic_timer
      	initrd /boot/initrd-splash.img

azilaka, Oct 14, 2009
  7. azilaka

azilaka

I've been searching through this forum for help on reinstalling and it looks like a lot of people run into problems - drivers getting messed up, etc. So now I'm a bit nervous. Can anyone offer me some advise on the best way to go about this, or point me to a post that has someone successfully reinstalling?

azilaka, Oct 14, 2009
  8. azilaka

schmadde

grub.conf doesn't look too bad, but I would lose the "quiet" option, if you want to know whats goin on. I must admit that I did not try it myself, because my aspire one A110L is running just fine for 1 1/2 year now. Maybe linpus has the splash screen integrated in the initrd and it cannot be switched off?

Reinstalling was a matter of plugging the usb drive in, pressing a few keys and waiting. No problems whatsoever - just did it because i bought the box new and wanted to have a fresh install. "Drivers messed up" is usually reserved to windows users, don't think anything can go wrong with the linux install. There are not many variants of the AAO and Acers Linpus recovery image supports them all (hopefully). I suppose you have prepared the recovery usb drive already? If not, there should be a tutorial somewhere.

schmadde, Oct 14, 2009
  9. azilaka

azilaka

Is there somewhere I can download the linpus recovery image? I tried google, and downloaded something named:
    Linpus_AAO.iso [mininova].torrent
    Is this it? Do I just start the computer with the usb in it? Sorry to be such a noob :roll:

azilaka, Oct 16, 2009
Ask a Question