Linpus v Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux' started by groeswenphil, Apr 15, 2009.

1. groeswenphil

groeswenphil

I was indeed a fool.

I've been a fan of Ubuntu for a couple of years now. Just two days after buying my Acer Aspire One, I came across a magazine article showing how to install Ubuntu Netbook Remix onto an Acer Aspire One.
    The temptation was just too much.

Just in case there's anybody else who fancies trying this, you might like to consider the following.

1) Ubuntu works on an Acer Aspire, but I've a feeling, and this might just be personal.....it only just works. As you work you keep getting these Alzheimer's moments where your netbook appears to drift in and out of consciousness. After a while, this really bugs.
    2) Start-up times. Linpus about 30 seconds. Ubuntu nearer 3 minutes.
    3) Time needed to set up Ubuntu .....about two hours. Time needed to get Linpus back.....on and off ....about three days....no kidding, but then again, I'm not that good with Linux. The Acer recovery disk just didn't work for me. Secondly, finding the Linpus download was a nightmare.
    4) For me, the fact that I couldn't get the BBC IPlayer to work was a real issues, particularly as it worked so well in Linpus.

Maybe I should have persisted and maybe others will do better than myself.

Lesson learned .............if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Phil

groeswenphil, Apr 15, 2009
  2. groeswenphil

jango

I have Jaunty UNR and i am very happy with it, boot time +/- 25sec, i dint spent 2h to setup it... just my opinion :D

jango, Apr 15, 2009
  3. groeswenphil

joekachurowski

I'm into my third full day of trying to get 8.10 onto my AA1. Limpus just didn't work, but I'm geting more than a little frustrated with the install dieing, and then the re-install starting to download 311 (at last count) updated packages before doing the file write...... :roll:

joekachurowski, Apr 16, 2009
  4. groeswenphil

redkop

using the jaunty UNR and its so much better than Linpus, easy to install my different mobile broadbands as well, it feels like a proper OS compared to Linpus

redkop, Apr 16, 2009
  5. groeswenphil

the100thmonkey

Have you optimised the Ubuntu install for the One?

For example, did you install everything on a non-journalling file system?

I use 8.10 on mine - a full install. I hear you on the thinking time that the computer likes to make for itself, but for me this only really happens when i'm updating the system - I start the update, then walk away and leave it to think for half an hour. SSD write speeds are the biggest issue, but I can put up with it. I guess an upgrade to 9.04 might help with some of the issues, given that Jaunty seems to be quick to boot. I'm also usually within 5 feet of a power point, so I have no problems with setting the processor to 1.6GHz - I find that speeds things up a bit - it certainly makes a difference to Open Office, as it lags when the CPU scaling is set to 'on demand'

What problems are you having with the Linpus reinstall?

the100thmonkey, Apr 16, 2009
  6. groeswenphil

groeswenphil

Nothing now. Everything working just fine, although last night I had to do another reinstall. Has something gone wrong with Linpus automatic upgrades?
    Phil

groeswenphil, Apr 17, 2009
  7. groeswenphil

viva

Phil,

your installation problems sound quite weird. Ubuntu normally installs very well on the Aspire One, wether SSD or HD equipped. If you install 8.04 or 8.10, consider an adapted kernel (aspireonekernel.com), or install 9.04 without the need for a special kernel installation. Boot time is about 30 secs or twice the boot time of Linpus. But on Linpus you have to wait until Wifi is ready, while on Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04), Wifi is ready when the screen is. So, basically, the overall boot time is the same on both systems.

Some tasks I was able to do without headaches on Ubuntu, but not on Linpus:

- connect to a network printer via wifi
    - set up a 2nd user with another language
    - set up a 2nd monitor with split screen and higher resolution

Things I still miss on Ubuntu 9:

- right card slot works only with card inserted on boot
    - wifi indicator led not working properly (eg constantly on when wifi is activated)

But these are rather minor glitches; left card reader and wifiitself are fully functional.

By the way: I don't do Netbook Remixes anymore. I tried them all, eebuntu, Linux4one, Ubuntu 9 UNR. I don't like the dark screens and I don't have to have even the smallest setup dialogue popping up in full screen. I'm now working with standard Ubuntu, the screen presentation is crisp and everything works well. Out of the box.

So, Ubuntu vs. Linpus? For me, the question is answered ;)

viva, Apr 18, 2009
  8. groeswenphil

stalker145

Viva, Have you tried this?
    "To get your wireless led to blink for you based on traffic, put these lines at the end of /etc/sysctl.conf."
    Code:
    dev.wifi0.ledpin=3
    dev.wifi0.softled=1
    Got it from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne and thought it might help. Seems to be working on my 8.10 install just fine.

stalker145, Apr 19, 2009
  9. groeswenphil

viva

Thank you. I know this from older Ubuntu installs, but that's not what I'm looking for. I want the LED to be permanently on when wifi is available. Just as it does on Linpus. On U9, it's currently off all the times. But I'll wait for the end of the beta before tweaking stuff like this ;)

viva, Apr 19, 2009
  10. groeswenphil

stalker145

Ahhh, I see. I must have misunderstood your desire. Any idea if this "fix" will work in U9 (assuming you mean Ubuntu 9.04)?

I'd be disappointed if it didn't.

stalker145, Apr 20, 2009
  11. groeswenphil

redbook

Use Ndisgtk with windows drivers, solid wifi light

redbook, Apr 21, 2009
Ask a Question