Linpus vs Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jango, Sep 24, 2008.

1. jango

jango

Hi

I am thinking about to change from Linpus to Ubuntu, I want to now your opinion about this, Linpus or Ubuntu?

Thanks

jango, Sep 24, 2008
  2. jango

melhiore

Mandriva 2008.1 :) Purely because I had no problem or whatsoever with working out-of-the-box system... Everything started to work w/o even small problem together with Wi-Fi which usually is a bit of pain...

Look at this as well: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2130

melhiore, Sep 24, 2008
  3. jango

tot31

I second that...quite a good distro... 2 thumbs up.... :D

tot31, Sep 24, 2008
  4. jango

silsor

If you just want to use your system for the features it is designed for (the stock applications that come with linpus) then there is no point in switching. If, on the other hand, you want your system to be a lot more flexible and powerful, or if you want to make major changes to it, then go with Ubuntu. I found that with Linpus it was difficult to make the changes to the system I wanted since everything was so customized.

silsor, Sep 25, 2008
  5. jango

daldred

I once used Mandriva (back when it was Mandrake); it was the distro a LUG member gave me to play with and it sort of stuck - I can't even remember now what it wouldn't do that Ubuntu would when I needed it. New printer, possibly. Anyway...

When you say it works out of the box, can we just confirm what this includes? Specifically:

Does wifi work (and with WEP / WPA / PEAP)?
    Does the wifi LED work?
    Does sound work, including after sleep/resume?
    Does the microphone work
    Does the webcam work?
    Do the card readers work, even if there is no card in them on boot, and again after sleep/resume?
    What's boot time and battery life like?

If it all does work fully, I'll be downloading later!

daldred, Sep 26, 2008
  6. jango

Rofa

wifi OK with my setup
    What LED?
    Yes - although don't know how to get it to sleep yet. Anybody tell me?
    Yes
    Not tried it
    Card readers - well there is a problem - sometimes works sometimes not - clicking the carrds in and out repeatedy sometimes works.
    Boot time 3 mins plus - battery about the same I guess - not compared it.

If only I had a card reader solution I would be a very happy bunny. But for what I need it for even that is not critical - but irritating.

Rofa, Oct 7, 2008
  7. jango

craggsy

Well I'm running the new ubuntu 8.10 beta (i have only been using linux for past two weeks). Everything works its really easy to use as well. I seriously recommend this over linpus.

craggsy, Oct 8, 2008
  8. jango

scottro

The only problem I had with Ubuntu was that my favorite window manager, fluxbox, ran much more slowly (on the 8 gig SSD) model than it did on Linpus. However, Gnome on Ubuntu seemed just about as quick as the Linpus stuff.

I'm going to be getting the 6 cell hard drive model. My plan is to simply wipe XP and put in Fedora which I keep around since my job is primarily with RH based servers, Ubuntu as well, because it usually just works when Fedora breaks, and lastly, CentOS to keep something relatively stable on there. The hardware is similar enough to my Aspire 4720z that I believe I can get the webcam, wireless and sound working adequately with all three of them.

scottro, Oct 8, 2008
  9. jango

kevin

I've said it before but, what the heck, I'll say it again...

So far nobody has been able to provide any evidence that installing a different Linux distribution will increase the _functionality_ of the AA0. That is, no-one has been able to convince that, having done this, the AA0 will be able to do useful things that it couldn't do before. I don't count as `useful' the ability to have icons in different colours and all that sort of stuff. I mean run real, significant apps that wouldn't otherwise run.

kevin, Oct 8, 2008
  10. jango

scottro

A lot of it is no doubt simply due to personal preference.
    For example, with a more standard distribution, Firefox 3 and OpenOffice 3 (both of which are, IMHO, much improved over the 2.x versions) become far easier to install.
    While almost everything *can* be done with Linpus with a bit of researching, most of these things (multiple users, ease of upgrade) are more easily done with a more typical distribution.

Like everything else, there's a trade-off--as I mentioned, after trying Ubuntu I went back to Linpus as it ran far more quickly and there is the ease of use for Linux newcomers.

(Though I think that is more of a factor in the UK, where the cost difference is much greater between the Linux and XP versions. I think that here in the US, the majority of people who got the Linpus version, at least after the cost of the 120 gig XP version went down to be close to the Linpus version, got it because they preferred Linux.)

scottro, Oct 8, 2008
  11. jango

Blahah

Anki, the spaced learning flashcard software, doesn't run on linpus and it would be a huge amount of work to get it to do so. For me it was less work to install ubuntu so that I could use it.

Blahah, Oct 8, 2008
  12. jango

cpchan

OK I will bite. Linpus and Fedora 8 is a dead end because the kernel and the packages will not be updated (only bug fixes in Fedora 8 until its end of life cycle). Mean while:

1. Kernel- there has been lots of improvements included new exciting power saving functions, a new drm (manger for Direct Rendering Infrastructure) memory manager, etc.

2. Xorg- The intel driver is far from finish. The latest xorg just merged in a new release a while back.

3. Other Packages- By sticking to Linpus and Fedora 8 one would loose out on new functionality as new versions of the programs come out. Also, no new programs.

Of course things can be compiled manually if you want, but it is far easier just to switch distro.

cpchan, Oct 8, 2008
  13. jango

kevin

It was easier to install a new distribution than to unpack the debian packages? I suppose if there are awkward depencies it might go that way :/

Alright... with this one exception, nobody has been able to provide any evidence ... etc etc :)

kevin, Oct 8, 2008
  14. jango

kevin

Well, yes, I take your point. But none of your examples are of actual applications that will run, now, on other distributions and will not run, now, on Linpus. I can see why improvements in, e.g., power management and display drivers are potentially important, but I can't see any specific problems in these things right now that are in urgent need of fixing.

Yes, in the future, there may be a need to install a different distribution. There may even be a new Linpus based on, e.g., Fedora 10. But I'm talking about this week :)

kevin, Oct 8, 2008
  15. jango

cpchan

Any app that relies on KDE4 will not run on Linpus without compiling, for example. I haven't seen a Fedora KDE4 repo.

cpchan, Oct 8, 2008
  16. jango

kevin

Yes? So name one. I mean - name an actual app that it is meaninful to run on a machine with 8GB SSD and 512 Mb RAM that I currently can't run (apart from the that Blahah mentioned earlier, which I have already conceded :))

I don't doubt that there are notionally applications that need later Linux distributions to run, or at least to run easily. And I don't doubt that as time goes on, unless new revisions of Linpus are released, this is even more likely to be the case.

My point, really, is that I run all the same apps on my Linpus AA0 that I run on desktop Linux, that make sense to run there. OK, so I can't run Solaris 10 in a VMWare virtual machine on my Linpus machine, but with 512Mb RAM there would be no point anyway.

Come on, 'fess up... the real reason for running a different Linux is ``because I can'' is it not? :)

kevin, Oct 8, 2008
  17. jango

cpchan

I know people who swear by Amarok 2 and KOffice 2.

You will be surprised as to what can be done with 512Mb. You just need to choose your apps carefully.

Geeks do like to tinker and push their machines to the limits. :-D

cpchan, Oct 8, 2008
  18. jango

kevin

Yes. You all know that's the real reason for doing this stuff!

kevin, Oct 8, 2008
Ask a Question