Linpus with MATlab

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Tonie168, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Tonie168

Tonie168

Hi,

I want to buy an Aspire One. I think the cheaper A110 is good enough for me, but first I have a question about MATlab. Because I'm a mechanics student at the Delft University of Technology, I can get my hands on several versions of MATlab. I already have a windows version of r2006a, which seems te have a never ending license, so I prefer that one, but I can also download r2007a or r2007b for windows or Linux. The question is: will MATlab r2007b for Linux run on an Aspire One with linpus? I won't use it for heavy calculations, because I have an Aspire desktop, but I want to edit m-files and simulink models while I'm traveling around.

If there is someone here who has experince with MATlab and Linpus, please let me know. Any other comments are welcome too. So if you think I should install XP and use my windows version, please tell me why.

Thanks in advance!

Tonie168, Oct 1, 2008
  2. Tonie168

kevin

I don't use Matlab myself -- I prefer Octave -- but there has been some discussion about it on this forum lately. Try the `search' facility :) My impression is that it does work, but there are some problems with fonts. I don't know whether these affect all versions of Matlab.

Unfortunately, Matlab does not have an exact equivalent of Simulink. There are alternatives, but I guess you need Simulink for a course, you're stuck with it.

kevin, Oct 1, 2008
  3. Tonie168

Grim Squeaker

The older versions of MatLab indeed have some issues with fonts. Since I accidentally managed to solve a similar problem for mathematica it is possible they can be resolved. Unfortunately we cannot test that, because the affected user has already made some changes to the system that stop him from trying :(

The thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3556

Grim Squeaker, Oct 1, 2008
  4. Tonie168

legendus

Yes, I could not test it because my sistem go down (installing AMSN). I don't know why. I am thinking in change of OS but I don't know if I'll do it finally. if I finally go on with the Linpus, I'll try the solution.

About matlab, it works good on linpus a part of that error. If you have any problem installing it I can help you. Because, if you do not something; simulink doens't work. When you do that, it works good but with the font errors. If I finally get to install ubuntu (because I have a problem that I posted in the Ubuntu remix topic) I'll try to use matlab there.

legendus, Oct 2, 2008
Ask a Question