linpus xfce problem

Discussion in 'Linux' started by xilbus316, May 30, 2009.

1. xilbus316

xilbus316

Hi everyone,

Got the litle acer one aspire laptop with Linpus, got to the advanced section with
    xfce-setting-show

got to the Add/Remove Software section and by mistake removed the xfce interface. Wanted to see if gnome would get setup.

now i boot up to a black screen with the scross hair mouse pointer, I cant do anything. Is there a way to get the interface back ?
    can i bootup in cmd mode ? and reinstall xfce ?
    Thanks

xilbus316, May 30, 2009
  2. xilbus316

pling

Try running an alternate Linux, like Kuki, without installing - ie from the USB pen. You should be able to see any personal files and back them up, and edit the relevant config file that starts xfce-etc. I don't know which one this is, but anyone with a Linpussed Acer who can use grep should be able to help you.

pling, Jun 3, 2009
  3. xilbus316

Andysan

Hi there,

I can give you a rough idea of what you have done. The window system on your machine is hierarchical. At the bottom is your X Window Server. This provides you with a basic GUI, which is what you are seeing when you boot (the thing with the cross). Layered on top of that you usually have either GNOME, KDE or XFCE (in our case). Since you removed the XFCE desktop, you now only have a very basic GUI, X.

Could you try this please:

Boot your laptop and press esc repeatedly until you can edit your GRUB entry (you'll know when this happens, don't worry about it). All we are going to do is temporarily force the computer to boot to a command line (bash) instead of a GUI.

Press the e key on your keyboard to edit the default kernel and append the capital letter S to the command line - it must be in upper case. Then hit return and you should boot into single user command line mode.

You should now be able to enter the following to reinstall XFCE (can any Linpus users confirm please)

Code:
    yum install xfce-desktop
    Worse case scenario you can easily download and boot into a live Linux distribution and copy all of your files onto another medium, then either reinstall Linpus using the provided recovery disk or another OS (recommended).

If you are stuck with anything, just holler - good luck!

Andysan, Jun 4, 2009
Ask a Question