Linux 3g support. Download auto installer - alpha

Discussion in 'Linux' started by kghunt, Feb 14, 2009.

1. kghunt

kghunt

I have compile some info from around the net to enable 3g support under ubuntu. Specifically I did this work for kuki linux. www.kuki.me.

I used a config file I found for wvdial a normal dial up prog.

It works great with my three uk huawei dongle. To simplify the process I have created install and configure scripts for users. All you have to do is download my archive extract it and double click setup.sh. This will install wvdial, make all the dirs, copy the files into place and configure the 3g settings depending on provider.

I currently only have support for vodafone uk (contract) and three uk (contract) but it only really requires your apn settings and a couple of other things to enable support for more networks.

download http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7a53 ... f6e8ebb871

If you do get your dongle working please provide me with your dialer config file so I can add it to the main release.

I found when using wicd (a lightweight network manager) that wifi had to be stopped first before 3g dialed or it didnt work, The script does this for you if you use wicd but I can't say for any other arrangement wether it will work or not.

Please let me know how you get on. Works great for me... Posting this using it right now. As always don't hold me responsible for anything that borks your system. Altough very unlikely. I have only tested this on kuki linux the best distro for the aa1.

kghunt, Feb 14, 2009
  2. kghunt

kghunt

Version 0.2.1 I removed the auto disabling of wifi for now as the commands I was using were not doing what I needed and wicd was holding onto dns I think. When I can mimic what the wifi kill switch does Ill put it back in. I have added some more user info and corrected some spelling mistakes. There is now a pause to give the user chance to disable their wifi then hit any key to continue.

As before download the archive. Extract to anywhere then double click setup.sh.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=7a53 ... f6e8ebb871

kghunt, Feb 15, 2009
  3. kghunt

kghunt

kghunt, Feb 16, 2009
  4. kghunt

Noodle1975

Good work,

Was wondering if you could help get the aa1 to recognise the mobile phone INQ1 as a 3G USB device? I have one on 3 UK network (contract) but I'm stuffed just can't get linux to see the INQ1's modem in wvdial (or with GUI gnome ppp).

All I can find on the web are these guys, but I can't compile/build any of the work.

http://wiki.github.com/stefanha/inq1linux

I already have my Nokia N82 phone working ok as a 3G usb device using gnome ppp, but I really want this INQ1 sorting out too!

Any ideas?

Noodle1975, Feb 17, 2009
  5. kghunt

kghunt

It depends on how you phone appears as a modem to the os. Some phones have to be put into a modem (mode) and phones tend to differ on the number you have to dial to access the phone as a number the most popular is *99# but there are many variations in this.

kghunt, Feb 19, 2009
  6. kghunt

Noodle1975

The above link you can download the files and open them with mousepad to see how linux would access the modem and what ppp settings the scripts use to dial the modem.

My problem: I've no idea how to compile this so that it builds the usb driver.

Noodle1975, Feb 19, 2009
  7. kghunt

kghunt

im afraid i cannot help you there I created these scripts so that I could use my 3g dongle without the need for network manager. It works with most dongles but I have not tested any phones.

kghunt, Feb 20, 2009
  8. kghunt

Noodle1975

Noodle1975, Feb 22, 2009
Ask a Question